Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work 7pm-7am, with every 2 days off and every other 3 day weekend off so my schedule is pretty up and down. I got a prescription for Ambien which works well but also screws up my stomach and seems to mess up my vision some. I have tried the Wal-Mart sleep meds (diphenhydramine) but have to take 350mg of it before I can sleep and then I'm really groggy for most of the following day. I've heard about some natural herbal stuff that might work but wanted to see if anyone else here has tried anything that worked for them. Thanks guys! Chris

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Red solo cup.. Add ice, Half Jack Daniel / half coke. Good Night.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
If you can't get to sleep you're not working hard enough.:-damnit

·
Registered
302 Posts
Some Benadryl and alcohol works beautifully.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies! Trust me I work my ass off but just have a hard time getting to sleep, day or night. Jack and Coke is my drink of choice but it sure doesn't put me to sleep, the opposite actually. Chris

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The biggest thing about the diphenhydramine is it takes a bunch to work and then stays with me forever which sucks. Will try the melatonin and other equate stuff mentioned. I get home from work, then get thinking about this or that, or something cool comes on TV then get caught up watching. Thanks! Chris

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
I've been having the same problem. Problems falling asleep but I also don't feel rested after I sleep, even if it's been for 9 or more hours. People say I snore weird also, like sporadically. I'm thinking I have sleep apnea.

Melatonin always worked good for my dad. I'd say give it a try.

·
Former RJ instigator
42,503 Posts
This is what works best for me, about an hour before I'm ready for bed I take one (1) 50mg diphenhydramine liqui-cap ( equate walmart brand ) on a empty stomach ( very important ), eat something usually when me and my wife get ready to lay down it's lunch time anyways so we eat a regular size lunch....., smoke that last cig of the day, head to the bedroom, flip on the TV, we usually watch something we've recorded on our DVR, after about 15 minutes of that I can feeling the pill kick in, then I start rubbing on the ol lady we have sex and you know what happens after that....

Single man's version, drink a 12 pack beer of choice, take (1) EQUATE BRAND 50 mg liqui-cap (diphenhydramine), eat, rub one out, sleep.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
I've been having the same problem. Problems falling asleep but I also don't feel rested after I sleep, even if it's been for 9 or more hours. People say I snore weird also, like sporadically. I'm thinking I have sleep apnea.

Melatonin always worked good for my dad. I'd say give it a try.
Same as me and yes it's sleep apnea

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
I take ambien (lowest dose that they make 5mg) this stuff has been a life saver for me..nothing else worked.I have a really sensitive stomach, I can't even take an over the counter motrin..what dose ambien do you take? melatonin doesn't work at all...your vision issues might be caused by something other than the ambien.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Yeah, it most likely is. I hear the CPAP machine works wonders once you get used to it. There's also a mouth-guard style device for lesser cases...It basically move your jaw to help open your airway.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I do weekends 7 pm to 7 am,,,fri/sat/sun, then switch back to day hours for the week.
I take extra strenght Unisom which is diphenhydramine. It kind of works,,,tried Melatonin once and did not care for the effects, I have a full bottle with one tablet out of it and won't ever use it again
Some other guys do the shift you are on....tough to do

1 - 20 of 47 Posts