Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wanting to get cooler air to the blower. This is a D-1 on a 461 bbc. The inlet on the blower is 3.75" O.D. My thought was to adapt up to a 4" pipe come out of the blower with two 90's welded together go through the core support and put the filter behind the grill in front of the radiator. This is a total of about 4 ft. of pipe. Will this be too restrictive? I drive this car on the street/strip so I dont want to put the filter down through the wheel well or remove the wheel well.

heres are some pics of what I have to work with.
thanks Steve

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think it would work using a 180* bend out of the blower inlet and then straight into the rad core support with the filter infont of the rad. Has to be better than sucking hot header/underhood heat into the blower. What about if you ran a 4" tube off the blower and through the firewall above the mastercylinder. you could put a couple flat KN frilters on the openings for the cowl area and pull air from here ?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it would work using a 180* bend out of the blower inlet and then straight into the rad core support with the filter infont of the rad. Has to be better than sucking hot header/underhood heat into the blower. What about if you ran a 4" tube off the blower and through the firewall above the mastercylinder. you could put a couple flat KN frilters on the openings for the cowl area and pull air from here ?
I would like to put the pipe/filter straight back through the fire wall and in those pockets but my windshield wiper linkage is in there. I figured I was stuck piping it in front of the radiator but Im concerned about strarving the blower for air. Is a 4" dia. pipe over 4 ft to restrictive? Could I get away with 3.5" pipe? Etc. I just dont want to hinder the air intake into the blower.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Strighter is better. Take it up and back between the hat and fire wall, that way it will suck the fresh air from the cowl. Rod

·
Registered
1,887 Posts

Like he said, ditch the wipers and run it through the hole where the motor sits and put a couple of panel filters on top. How often do you actually drive in the rain? ;)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like he said, ditch the wipers and run it through the hole where the motor sits and put a couple of panel filters on top. How often do you actually drive in the rain? ;)
Removing the wipers is not an option. Not going to happen. I was really interested in going in front of the radiator but Im just not sure if this will be restricting. I was hoping someone here would know the math/formula for figuring out the intake needs of the blower in relation to the size and length of the pipe. I would think that behind the grill would be the optimum place. Going straight back and higher I think would be better but your still sucking that engine heat.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
Steve,

If you can do it with as few bends as possible, run it up front using the 4" tubing. One other thing, you could have the new intake duct coated to prevent heat absorption.

Jim

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I did what you are thinking about.I raced it then I hooked up a vacuum gauge right near the blower intake and saw 6 1/2" of vacuum.Vortech told me anything over @2 1/2" is bad...Then I found 2 mph in the 1/4 and 2/10s........I went to 5" pipe,Out of the back of the blower about 6",45 elbow up near the dist...Added a flat flange with some junk yard "Back of the hood" weather striping.......Now the cowl induction hood,Fiberglassed a "L" shape aluminum box to the bottom of the hood making a hole where the flange weather stripping is..Finished...Looks clean,almost factroy...OLDHEAD

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
OH,The filter is a K&M #FR 1039 that fits inside the 5" pipe,You can just see the end of the filter sticking out.You must add 1/8" welding rods that cris-cross inside the 5"to act as a stop so the filter does not get sucked into the blower....I would not race with filter in place..........If you want to contact me about adding to this so you can run...Thats another story...PM me if you want I have pictures...Oldhead

1 - 9 of 9 Posts