Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I use the iwata regulators, use to use the rti ones but the diaphragms kept going bad. I would definitely run a regulator on the wall and at the gun. i run the regulator on the wall at 60 psi in the booth. I just feel like I don't need 125 psi in the booth and won't get a drop in pressure while spraying.

·
43,343 Posts
I always use a regulator at the gun. Pressure at the gun is what manufacturers are talking about when they tell you what pressure to spray their products at,...so if for no other reason, knowing what the pressure at the gun is, is important. But, it's the other obvious reasons as to why I use one.

1. You lose pressure through your line, and not because of leaks. And the longer the hose, the more pressure is lost. So setting the desired pressure at the wall regulator, is giving you less by the time it reaches the gun.

2. If there are other tools, workers, leaks in the shop, etc,..all tend to make air pressure fluctuate a little, (in some cases a lot), so being able to glance down, (or just know by hearing your gun or seeing the product react) and being able adjust right there at your gun, is the control you want.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
So I do the regulator thing a bit different. Might sound like overkill but the way it should be done if you can afford to do it. Even cheap Harbor Freight regulators will do this.

I have (2) wall regulators, filters, etc. I have the first regulator from which I run all my air for everything except paint. All my sanding, blowing, etc is done off regulator 1. Then for paint I plug inline my paint regulator I use only for painting / priming / spraying. This keeps that "paint only regulator" and filter dry and fresh when i use it. I even go to extremes and tape the end of the hose closed when it is not plugged in. I am in Humid Florida, before I connect that paint regulator I flush the entire system totally dry. I use a regulator at the gun ONLY to note the gun pressure coordinated with the Paint regulator on the wall, coordinated with the various guns. I have notes on what gun pressure equals what wall pressure, and the pressure change is different from my air hog W400 then to my 400LPH. However, no matter what gun, with my pre regulated incoming air, my pressure drop on a perfect tight 50 FT hose is minimal .

I regulate the air going from the first regulator INTO the paint regulator to 60LBS, then regulate that air to the needed pressure according to the gun regulator. If you regulate the air coming out of first regulator 20 to 30 lbs above the needed pressure into the final regulator, there is never any fluctuation as the compressor goes up and down cycling from 125 to 160. Once I know what wall pressure regulator equates to at the gun, I ditch the gun regulator for comfort and flexibility. This keeps the gun shorter, shorter means less chance of dragging a hose while reaching across a roof. Also helps when inverting the gun angle when painting low like rockers, wheel opening lips, rear valances, etc.

I should mention I will see pressure change at the first regulator of 5LBS or so as the compressor cycles, but the second regulator is not affected by this 5LB change like the first regulator is affect by the 35 to 50 LB change. Hence the reason for the first regulator.

It is all a bit extreme, but in my opinion is the perfect system. I know some of the name guys, and they all do this also

·
Registered
26,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So, flow the airline like a nitrous line. Anything wrong with that?

I am the only person using shop air.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Yes flow the line, also make sure gun air valve is all the way open. IIRC the Lph400 is 23psi recommended air pressure but you may want to bump it up to atomize or layout paint better. You will have to dial in gun (regulator) according to gun fluid, paint viscosity, pattern, and your travel speed.

·
43,343 Posts
Holy crap....I guess you do. I'm a SATA guy so you know what that picture is doing to me, right?...lol
Are those all used, new, some of both? Price ranges?

·
Registered
42 Posts
yeah mostly all new, some barely used. i have a few workhorses i use daily. i have added to the collection since pic was taken. 4 5500s 1.2i 1.3i rps and 1.2i 1.3i HVLP
price ranges from 400-500 all digitals all like new. 720 252 9292 shoot me a text. i can send you close up pics if youre interested

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I have a good regulator on the wall. Is it necessary to have one at the gun as well?

You need one at the gun.
Also get a water filter on the gun.
I just bought this gun.

Mines a Spectrum.
Was $657.00 got it for $198.00
It comes with a 1:7 tip.
Sprays great.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Watch a bunch of youtube videos. You will make mistakes but it's a learning curve.
Dont wait longer than 30 minutes to spray the clear on.
If its tacky, it will adhere better and your chances of runs will be reduced.
It will be a challenge at first.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts