Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
26,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a new paint gun to paint a couple cars with. What kind do you guys suggest Sata, Iwata, Devilbiss?? Need to blow paint and clear with it.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I went with a cupped Prolite from devilbiss, extremely happy with it I bought a second one. I will suggest going to a store where you can hold all the guns your considering, no point having a gun thats uncomfortable in your hand.

·
43,500 Posts
Devilbiss Tekna. I'm a SATA guy true and true but, tried the Tekna a few years ago. They won't break the bank as much as the SATA, but man does it spray awesome. Base and clear.

·
Registered
26,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m looking at the Iwata lph400-lpv extreme model. I just need to pick between 1.3 or 1.4 cup size.

·
Registered
13,004 Posts
Devilbiss Tekna. I'm a SATA guy true and true but, tried the Tekna a few years ago. They won't break the bank as much as the SATA, but man does it spray awesome. Base and clear.
I bought one of these a couple years ago on Franks recommendation. Mine came with 3 tip size changes. Amazon had a great price and I think next day delivery. I love it.

A guy at a local hydraulic hose manufacturer built me an adapter so I can use cheap aluminum cups from Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
315 Posts
1.3 or 1.4 is the needle size not the cup. Its usually 700 or 1000ml I like the 700 because its shorter and theres less chance on hitting your work in curves or angles. 1.3 is better for base, depending on solid content of clear would determine needle size for it. You can turn the 1.4 down but can't turn the 1.3 up. My favorite gun is the lph400 Iwata and its great with metallics my fastest gun is a sata. I can lay a slicker finish with the Iwata, the sata will getter done in a hurry. Everybody sprays different and will have a favorite. If you your new to the art you cant go wrong with a lph400 its more forgiving and less expensive if you paint on crack or just hyper the sata is the gun for you. Any decent gun will be fine cause you'll cut and buff anyway. check out spraygunworld.com

·
Registered
26,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1.3 or 1.4 is the needle size not the cup. Its usually 700 or 1000ml I like the 700 because its shorter and theres less chance on hitting your work in curves or angles. 1.3 is better for base, depending on solid content of clear would determine needle size for it. You can turn the 1.4 down but can't turn the 1.3 up. My favorite gun is the lph400 Iwata and its great with metallics my fastest gun is a sata. I can lay a slicker finish with the Iwata, the sata will getter done in a hurry. Everybody sprays different and will have a favorite. If you your new to the art you cant go wrong with a lph400 its more forgiving and less expensive if you paint on crack or just hyper the sata is the gun for you. Any decent gun will be fine cause you'll cut and buff anyway. check out spraygunworld.com
So I bought a Iwata lph400 because what I read on it sounded like it fit my bill. And it was cheap compared to a Sata. I have never painted an entire car and it’s been a long time since I’ve painted anything. So I’m going to pester the shit out of you guys along the way and maybe my car will turn out with a half ass paint job.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
I love my iwata guns. I used to sell them now I spray with them every day. I have 5 lph400 and 4 w400's. The w400 is more of a conventional gun even though it is compliant plus it will cost less. Uses a little more material and a little more air also. Most important thing with any gun is setting it up right and getting the air pressure right. Get a good regulator. Good luck

·
Registered
26,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I love my iwata guns. I used to sell them now I spray with them every day. I have 5 lph400 and 4 w400's. The w400 is more of a conventional gun even though it is compliant plus it will cost less. Uses a little more material and a little more air also. Most important thing with any gun is setting it up right and getting the air pressure right. Get a good regulator. Good luck
Reg suggestion?

·
Registered
26,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a good regulator on the wall. Is it necessary to have one at the gun as well?

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Great that you bought a Lph400-I love mine-it's a silver cap. You could probably get away with your current set up, but having the Reg at the gun is reassuring. For large areas, I usually shoot with 28-32 psi at the gun, fan 0-10% in from all the way out-

As for the cup size thing, I have the Devilbus DeKup system on my Lph400, and it makes small jobs and clean-up so fast-add in that there are 3 cup sizes (9oz., 24 oz., and 34 oz.), and you have a cup for any job, that can be smaller to get into tight areas-

You get a clean out bottle that allows you to change colors fast (I went from black to clear in less than 5 minutes yesterday), and it's a done deal-you can also shoot upside down without leakage or loss of spray-

Down side is that you are buying cups and lids, but I can finish spraying, tear my gun completely apart, clean it spotless and put it back together in less than 7-10 minutes-take a look, they are a time-saver, and one less thing to go wrong-

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
One last suggestion-if you leave your Regulator on the wall you won't want ANY hose leakage (or your settings won't be repeatable)-
I use the Milton "V" Series high flow couplers-air volume won't be an issue any more (they flow a lot more than a regular quick-connect), and they do not leak! I love 'em, but you will have strong wrists if you couple them a lot-

I also run a dedicated hose -

1 - 20 of 34 Posts