Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, we are running, and working to the point so we can say we agree that we have a good tune before we turn on the system.

I'm running a direct port system (NX) stand alone fuel system, will be a 100 hp shot, Mallory 685, pump gas sbc, stock 010 block, extensive work done on the iron heads. Other than that I don't know what the motor is. It seems to be running pretty good at 38 deg timing dist locked, although I'm still experimenting on that so It could be a little more or a little less.

I am wondering about a couple things before we pull the trigger on this.

On the 685 settings. Window switch, would 2500 to 6000 be good? I have set the rev limiter at 6500.

Nitrous fuel. I think I have access to 110 maybe even C12 thru C16 but i am not sure on that so I am hoping 110 will do.

Timing. Will I be safe starting out taking out 6 deg to start?

Plugs. I have no idea.

This engine is what we had to work with to start him out as he plans to run a big block when he gets comfortable with the nitrous system. But I would like to keep from scattering this engine first time on the bottle.

And suggestions from you guys would be great.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nothing?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would start at taking 6 degrees 5.5lbs flowing on the fuel with a ngk9plug

Ok, thanks.

Do you have any experience with the window switch settings?

·
Registered
320 Posts
3,200 -6,200 would be where i started.Ease it in quicker when you're sure the tune is good and you know it won't try to backfire on the hit.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I have mine on 3000

Also… double check you have the right fuse in it. I wish someone would have told me that on my first pass. The n2o was on for about 2 feet.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have mine on 3000

Also… double check you have the right fuse in it. I wish someone would have told me that on my first pass. The n2o was on for about 2 feet.:rolleyes:
Ok, Now that you mention it I was wondering what the proper size fuse would be.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
3,200 -6,200 would be where i started.Ease it in quicker when you're sure the tune is good and you know it won't try to backfire on the hit.
Ok, I''ll do that. I was always under the impression the window switch should be about 500 rpm from the rev limiter.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
You didn't give enough engine specs or intended RPM to really know the fuel requirements. But as long as you ease into it until you get everything working, the 110 race gas ( Renegade i hope ) will give you a big tuning window to work from.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I don't know enough about the engine to give specifics.

It's an 010 block. When I had the oil pan off I saw TRW pistons and the stock rods have been modified.
The 3973487 casting number heads have had the exhaust ports ported ALOT, they are really opened up compared to some old heads I have laying around. I have't removed them so that's all I know.

It's a pretty strong street motor. We are using it for him to learn with the nitrous since I have very little invested in it. Hopefully he can get used to tuning with the nitrous before he starts with an engine with considerable money invested in it.

The car runs low 7's in the 1/8 but he is very inconsistent off the line so that number is all over the place right now.

I was going to set the limiter at 6500 , I have had it that far and it has held so far so I figured it was a good place to hold it.

Fuel available seems to be limited to VP.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I don't know enough about the engine to give specifics.

It's an 010 block. When I had the oil pan off I saw TRW pistons and the stock rods have been modified.
The 3973487 casting number heads have had the exhaust ports ported ALOT, they are really opened up compared to some old heads I have laying around. I have't removed them so that's all I know.

It's a pretty strong street motor. We are using it for him to learn with the nitrous since I have very little invested in it. Hopefully he can get used to tuning with the nitrous before he starts with an engine with considerable money invested in it.

The car runs low 7's in the 1/8 but he is very inconsistent off the line so that number is all over the place right now.

I was going to set the limiter at 6500 , I have had it that far and it has held so far so I figured it was a good place to hold it.

Fuel available seems to be limited to VP.
PM me your location and i'll see about finding you a source for Renegade Racing Fuel.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So the NGK9 plug seems to be good start?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Also what plug gap should he run? I'm in the same boat and am just piggybacking off you.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also what plug gap should he run? I'm in the same boat and am just piggybacking off you.

The more the merrier. :cool:

Hopefully can elaborate on it some more.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
The more the merrier. :cool:

Hopefully can elaborate on it some more.
Sorry, I cant help too much there, all I know is corn piss fuel, not fancy 110... but NGK has a nice tech form you can fill out, and they will tell you what plug to start with... I did that on two combos, and it worked out well. Other than that pull a degree or three past what your jet charts say, and spray away. You can sneak up on timing easier than changing pistons.

I would recommend doing a compression check before turning it on, though, and write down the readings for each cylinder. Post up the results... if you have too much cranking compression, you may be in a danger zone, and not know it.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry, I cant help too much there, all I know is corn piss fuel, not fancy 110... but NGK has a nice tech form you can fill out, and they will tell you what plug to start with... I did that on two combos, and it worked out well. Other than that pull a degree or three past what your jet charts say, and spray away. You can sneak up on timing easier than changing pistons.

I would recommend doing a compression check before turning it on, though, and write down the readings for each cylinder. Post up the results... if you have too much cranking compression, you may be in a danger zone, and not know it.
Wow, that's really good advice. I'll well definitely do that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts