Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a cost effective way to measure IAT, any suggestions?

I'm running a SBF 331, procharged, C&S carb and E85.

I would like to measure before and after the carb.

Thanks guys..

·
Registered
49,436 Posts
Looking for a cost effective way to measure IAT, any suggestions?

I'm running a SBF 331, procharged, C&S carb and E85.

I would like to measure before and after the carb.

Thanks guys..
your wasting your money and time trying to measure after the carb. you will get to much thermal transfer to get reliable data from a aluminum intake manifold. The probe will be heated by the intake.

How robust of a setup would you need anyways ?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Rodney from AIS is sending me a set up from a C3 or C4 vette that uses voltage via resistors from its sender. Each voltage has a thermal value that I am going to test out to see if it works.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
your wasting your money and time trying to measure after the carb. you will get to much thermal transfer to get reliable data from a aluminum intake manifold. The probe will be heated by the intake.

How robust of a setup would you need anyways ?
That's how they do it on roots. :confused:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would like to run a K-type thermo-couple through the carb spacer and one into the hat.

I want to find out what amount of temperature drop I'm getting by using E-85.

The intake should not affect my temp readings as a thermo-couple only reads off of the tip (which will be placed in the center of the air path)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I would like to run a K-type thermo-couple through the carb spacer and one into the hat.

I want to find out what amount of temperature drop I'm getting by using E-85.

The intake should not affect my temp readings as a thermo-couple only reads off of the tip (which will be placed in the center of the air path)

Cheap, durable, only reads at tip like you said. But, have low voltage levels and if you use a thick stainless encased version, the time response is low.

Search around for how they make air TC's for gas turbines. There should be examples on the web.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
If you want something fairly cheap you can make yourself, I've used ones like shown here for low temp airflows.

http://www.techinstrument.com/acatalog/Thermocouple_Probes.html

Economy Tpye K Air Probe

Hand-held air probe for ambient air temperatures.

The way we made them was to cement the TC wire into the SS tube and use a swagelok for installing it. The bead of the TC was behind a hole in one side of the ss tubing. You don't want the bead to ground on the sides, as that can cause problems with some setups. The hole in the side of the tube has to face into the flow. This gives a stagnation temperature.

Time response is better for thinner wire, but it's more likely to break.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
PLX Devices has a stand alone if you are looking to just buy an IAT meter.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts