Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Chinese buffet destroyer
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly I got laid off due to lack of work just as I was getting ready to assemble my motor. The wife has been at least cool enough To let me store the crank and camshaft in the bedroom ( which she isn't happy about ) but the now need to be moved into the closet. For long term storage should they be stood up or layed down? The race car and motor are no longer a priority Just taking care of my family in all means possible is. Thanks in advance though - Bill

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation, it sucks big time and doesn't look like it's getting much better, at least for now anyway. As far as storing your stuff, vertical is best if possible, but it depends on the box. I had a Callies Dragonslayer crank that I had stored in it's original packaging for about 5 years until I finally sold it. The box had that expandable foam in it molded to the shape of the crank. Right at the sale it checked straight with no bend at all. If you don't have a box that supports the mains, I'd stand it on end or hang it if possible. Same for the cam if you can. More of a precaution I would think but there's some piece of mind to go with it...........

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
It makes absolutely no difference if they are verticle or horizontal. If it is so weak it could warp from laying horizintal how would it ever survive in an engine. It's an old wives tale that cranks will warp if layed down.

·
RED ROCKET
8,633 Posts
i agree...if it can bend out of the motor i would never put it in the motor.

·
Registered
23,982 Posts
They will take up a lot less room in the closet stored standing up. Also less chance of 'Momma' Piling crap on top that might damage them. Standing up in the back, she might eventually forget they are there and leave ya alone about them. Laying down she will see them on the closet floor every time she opens it, and when she is 'cranky' it will be an open invitation to bitch...........been there.

Oil em up good and double bag them in plastic so she doesn't get the slightest whiff of oil, or out the door they will go........

·
Chinese buffet destroyer
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool thanks for the advise everyone. Just wish I didn't have to do this

·
Registered
14,768 Posts
I like LPS 2 or 3 for long term storage. I agree on vertical or horizontal...makes no difference. Which ever is more convenient.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts