Yellow Bullet Forums banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Future long range gunners, bigger is not always better when shooting long/extreme ranges if all you doing is punching paper AND RINGING STEEL.

Do not ignore the .243, .260, 6, 6BR, 6.5 creedmoor, 6.5x284 Norma, and the 7mm-08, 7mm, and 7mm RUM.
No doubt; the 6mm creedmoor is another fantastic up-and-coming cartridge as well.

Personally, I opted to stick with the .308 as I was wanting to do matches/events which only allow .308 and .223.

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
What if end goal of setup is rip heads off at 1k+?
Looking at that chart couple post up look at energy after 1000 yards and you will have your answer.

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
What if end goal of setup is rip heads off at 1k+?
If it's human heads, nearly anything will work. Compared to animals, we are extremely soft and fragile. Even the sight of our own blood (even in small amounts) can change the psyche to the point of them no longer being a threat. A .223 would most likely kill someone at 1,000. At least maim them past the point of returning to a firefight. Now, if decapitation is the necessary requirement, you'd have to cross reference energy of the necessary force to sever the spinal cord and adjoining flesh and ligaments, without making the projectile pass through the skull. Think flat nosed, large bore would be my guess. Lol.

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #65

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Nice thread. I'd like to add some more information here

First for all the apple i phone users, get yourself a copy of Shooter. The app is 10 bucks but critical for long range performance development. It has detailed bullet library with all the ballistic coefficients and can calculate the drops and windage to whatever range you specify

Second and a big thing to consider is scope elevation adjustment range. Depending on the caliber you are shooting, you need to have a lot of range adjustment. For this you need big tube scopes, 30-35mm and usually an offset scope base with 20 moa or more built in elevation. Its sloped to point barrel up more in relation to scope point of view

If you are shooting a 308 or other small calibers with not alot of velocity in bullets with mediocre coefficients, then you may not beable to get to 1000+ yards on cross hair alone. May need hold over so get a scope with mil dots to compensate

I built a savage action based 300 wsm that i currently shoot 185 grain berger juggernauts out of and it does well to 1100-1150 yards. Calm day i can put several shots within a 14" circle. Not bad, but with more load development i think it could do better. I have a weaver tactical 30mm scope, 3-15x power and a 20 moa base. On cold days i still needed to max out the scope adjustment to get on target at 1100-1200 yards. Hot days the load seems to shoot better and i only have to go roughly 80% of full elevation change
.308 would never get there on that rig

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Between 2500 and 3500 is what most people claim on a 6.5 Creedmoor. It all depends on the load and how hot you get the barrel.

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Well, turning my r5 308 into a 6xc, for prs matches. Should be fun. We are building one for me and my buddy is building one too.

My 6.5x284 got the stock out for hydrodip and bolt np3 coated to smooth it out.

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Well, turning my r5 308 into a 6xc, for prs matches. Should be fun. We are building one for me and my buddy is building one too.

My 6.5x284 got the stock out for hydrodip and bolt np3 coated to smooth it out.
Nice. I think I'm going to turn my .243 into a PRS rifle

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Nice. I think I'm going to turn my .243 into a PRS rifle
Deeeewettttt!

6mm is nice for wind, but is a barrel burner. Eh, it's only money!!! As I see it, if I did one match a month, plus load development and target practice, I'd get 2 years out of it. Since I don't shoot that often, I should be good for 3-4 years.

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Walk down memory lane.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Just purchased Remington 700 LA 7mm Mag & Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 glass.

The other two rigs I was looking at were the Savage 111 LRH in .338 Lapua and the Browning X-Bolt Stalker Stainless in .300 Win Mag.

When I broke it down, I focused on purpose, performance and price; overall best choice for hunting in my location for me was the Rem 700 7mm Mag, so that's what I bought in addition to the Vortex glass. I'm certain with the right rounds it'll stretch out far beyond my intended purpose for LR duty.

Can't wait to try this out! What do you think would be some good ammo for punching paper and for bringing down 4-legged critters?

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
My girl got me a 6.5 grendel for Christmas her Pa built. That thing will drive nails at 100 yards......Cant wait to get the right rounds in it so i can stretch out its legs some.

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Just purchased Remington 700 LA 7mm Mag & Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 glass.

The other two rigs I was looking at were the Savage 111 LRH in .338 Lapua and the Browning X-Bolt Stalker Stainless in .300 Win Mag.

When I broke it down, I focused on purpose, performance and price; overall best choice for hunting in my location for me was the Rem 700 7mm Mag, so that's what I bought in addition to the Vortex glass. I'm certain with the right rounds it'll stretch out far beyond my intended purpose for LR duty.

Can't wait to try this out! What do you think would be some good ammo for punching paper and for bringing down 4-legged critters?

Your thoughts?
HSM 7mm 180gr Berger VLD hunting round. I shot steel out to a mile with it.

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
61 - 80 of 93 Posts