Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As requested.

Talk about the rifles needed, scopes, range finders, aid's on reading weather, data books.

I'll add my own post later

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well my poison so far in the heavy barrel arena:

Savage model 10 chambered in 308. I haven't really stretched the legs on it yet, just out to 600, but I know it'll shoot a grand.

Savage model 10 chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. I haven't shot it yet, but I did a little research on the round, and it's a bad little booger

Remington 700 in 300 win mag. It has the longest barrel of the three at 26 inches versus 24 for the Savage models.

All have Nikon tactical scopes mounted. These scopes to me are a breeze to adjust, however I will be stepping up to vortex on my next purchase, and finally into the night force ring.

I see myself with something chambered in .375 eventually which will probably be end of the road. And I also see a custom built 30-378 in the closet one day.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well for my long range,

Custom 700 in .308, with a Nightforce Benchrest 8-32x56. This Is my baby!!!!!

Did a custom AR15 with a 24" Krieger, to shot in AR F-Class, has a Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x50.

Thinking about doing an AR10 upper chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor and another bolt in .284 Shehane. .284 Shehane, I just love the way that sounds!

Only been shooting out to 600 yards in F-Class, until I get better at wind doping. Then Ill move to the 1000 yard range.

Mark

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Can I ask general long range stuff questions here?

If so, is there a tool/calculator or rule of thumb for determining barrel length for optimal velocity at given distances for certain calibers?

·
Registered
3,779 Posts

If so, is there a tool/calculator or rule of thumb for determining barrel length for optimal velocity at given distances for certain calibers?[/QUOTE

In general velocity will increase as barrel length does- accuracy is normally not associated with very long barrel lengths. See the conundrum ?

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

If so, is there a tool/calculator or rule of thumb for determining barrel length for optimal velocity at given distances for certain calibers?
This the long range thread. Ask anything pertaining to long range. That's why this thread was created.

It's an ongoing learning process as I'm finding out but find you a good long range shooter you can trust like I have and drain their ass dry for information :-D

·
A.K.A. MEAN Matt
3,581 Posts
Suscribed.

I have a heavy barrel all stainless Savage Model 12 in .308 with a Tasco Scope. Haven't got to try any kind of long range with it yet but looking forward to it. Some backyard plinking and 100-150 yard shots at a friends place. It's like owning a super car and never doing more than driving around the block or staring at it in the garage. LOL

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I haven't fired a single shot in about 6 months and its time I blew the dust off everything. I don't shoot long range like most here. Most of my shots are taken between 100 and 600 yards. I have a 1500 yard range at my brothers house and would like to stretch the legs on my 700.

New to me
Remington 700 5R in 300WM with a cheep bushnell that will be upgraded very soon. I'm going to do some scope swapping from one of my other guns for now.

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't fired a single shot in about 6 months and its time I blew the dust off everything. I don't shoot long range like most here. Most of my shots are taken between 100 and 600 yards. I have a 1500 yard range at my brothers house and would like to stretch the legs on my 700.

New to me
Remington 700 5R in 300WM with a cheep bushnell that will be upgraded very soon. I'm going to do some scope swapping from one of my other guns for now.
Hmmm you're in Texas, I'm in Texas. Your brother has a 1500 yard range. :-D

·
Registered
442 Posts
Just starting out and need some advice. Not going to shoot competition. This will be a weekend fun gun that could reach out 1000-1200 yards. It will also be an occasional hunting gun if going out west for large game, once every few years. Don't want a single shot rifle. Budget $1200 range for the gun, less would be better. Thinking 300 win mag. Is there a better round for what I am looking to do. Opinions on buying used guns?

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I need to go range everything again. I had everything marked in 100 yard increments.
We can knock the dust of the ar50. It's been mothballed for a couple years.
Here is my son shooting at 300 yards.
Yes he needed eye protection

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just starting out and need some advice. Not going to shoot competition. This will be a weekend fun gun that could reach out 1000-1200 yards. It will also be an occasional hunting gun if going out west for large game, once every few years. Don't want a single shot rifle. Budget $1200 range for the gun, less would be better. Thinking 300 win mag. Is there a better round for what I am looking to do. Opinions on buying used guns?
I got my Remington 700 in 300 with Nikon scope, and bipod out the door for $1237. 26 inch heavy barrel.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1901306&highlight=700

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
18 inch 308
22 inch 6.5 creed

Thoughts on knock down power between the two? Trying to get stuff lined up for a purchase mid Nov area

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
18 inch 308
22 inch 6.5 creed

Thoughts on knock down power between the two? Trying to get stuff lined up for a purchase mid Nov area
What range? From what I've been reading, the 6.5 is more accurate than a 300 at 1000 yards, however the 300 retains more energy.

And it's stopping power.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
By 1000 yards the 6.5 will have more retained energy than the .308.

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What range? From what I've been reading, the 6.5 is more accurate than a 300 at 1000 yards, however the 300 retains more energy.

And it's stopping power.
I don't mean for that "and it's stopping power" to sound snarky. So my apologies if it did.

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
18 inch 308
22 inch 6.5 creed

And it's stopping power.
I don't mean for that "and it's stopping power" to sound snarky. So my apologies if it did.
Ok, that's better.

·
Denouned
1,248 Posts
Good idea on the sticky. I shoot 100-200 yards every weekend. I need to join a club about 30 miles from me. They have a range out too 700 yards. Been planning a 6mm dasher build for 600-1000 yard shooting. Wish I could figure out how to post some pictures from my phone. My photo bucket account got hacked a few years ago and I don't want a new one.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
OC, no problem, I use knock down cause well, you wanna have em knocked down dead right there. Ain't afraid of a whitetail storming me :lol:

The 6.5 round is Def looking like the golden child according to the Internet these days

1 - 20 of 96 Posts