Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a sbc 383 turbo with a msd 6al box and a msd distributor with locked out timeing and was wondering how dose it work if i want to lock out my timeing with 15-20psi of boost.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have ben trying to get more info about running locked out timeing but i can not find info about it. i dont like to do thing that i dont know that much info about.
i dont really know how it exactly work's and would like to know more about it befor i do it.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Well it's quit simple say you lock your timing out at 22 degrees it's always at 22*, idle, start up, everything. my Brothers car is this way and mine will be too this spring. It runs fine just make sure your tune is good.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I ran locked timing for a while and thought everything was great. And it was, but having boost retard helped a lot. With extra timing out of boost the motor was much more responsive and made boost much faster. I street drive a lot and mpg was horrible at 23* locked. I never checked it, but a 30 mile round trip took about 1/4 tank so maybe 8-10mpg. With boost retard on my 6530 I get about double the mileage because I cruise with 42* timing now. I leave 36* in it until 4lbs of boost and then gradually pull timing to 23* at full boost. Bottom line, run it locked until you can save enough for a decent box made for force induction. It will be money well spent.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ran locked timing for a while and thought everything was great. And it was, but having boost retard helped a lot. With extra timing out of boost the motor was much more responsive and made boost much faster. I street drive a lot and mpg was horrible at 23* locked. I never checked it, but a 30 mile round trip took about 1/4 tank so maybe 8-10mpg. With boost retard on my 6530 I get about double the mileage because I cruise with 42* timing now. I leave 36* in it until 4lbs of boost and then gradually pull timing to 23* at full boost. Bottom line, run it locked until you can save enough for a decent box made for force induction. It will be money well spent.
ok thanks that is what i was going to do is save money and get a good box.
now with the timeing Notchkid89 sad to put timeing at 22* now is that with any amount of boost that i want to run.

·
Registered
25,090 Posts
ok thanks that is what i was going to do is save money and get a good box.
now with the timeing Notchkid89 sad to put timeing at 22* now is that with any amount of boost that i want to run.

He said " say ' you lock it out at 22º . He was just using that number for example .

Its hard to say what your motor is going to like .

Heres another " example "

I have a 383 sbc , 8.8 cr , aluminum heads , blow-thru carb , intercooled , on pump gas

locked at 36º on my combo and pulling 1º per pound of boost with AFRs in the mid to low 11s was safe .

Thats 23º at 13 to 14psi which is all I will run on pump gas .

·
Registered
149 Posts
+1

Spend some cash on a 6AL-2 Programmable... you won't be sorry! Very happy with mine and have it programmed very close to what brianj is doing.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts

A 6530 can replace a 6AL, BTM plus offers more tuning options.

·
Registered
478 Posts
if he has a 6al why not just get a BTM #8762???? oh yeah,, bye the way i have one for sale,,,

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
6al2 here also and love it!!

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Car will be a lot laggier if locking the timing for max boost! Thats what we used to have to do until the cheaper boxes came out and it was one of the reasons turbo cars would overheat trannys so much while sitting on the transbrake.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
it works off vacuum, for every pound of boost it bulls a degree of timming which you control how much by the dial.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts