Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Mr. Shope,

I'd like to spend about a month with you. Lots of ideas that you have inspired that I would like to work on. I'd bet you have a story or two as well.

Shawn

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I certainly understand that.

I am a senior in a Mechanical Engineering program and have been racing my own stuff since '91. When I started, I thought I would go out and find some good infomation that I could use to kick everyones butt. We'll, I ordered my first SAE paper and several books from them and I realized very quickly that my math skills and true understanding of 'classical mechanics' was not good enough for me to get where I wanted.

Since I've went back to school, I absolutely love how many things in the M.E. ciriculum can be applied to my racing program. I haven't been racing while at school but I am anxious to get back at it and start applying some of the things learned.

I appreciate your approach you use to trying to explain these subjects to others.

I know what you mean about this being a place to hang out. I have moved around the internet trying to find good places like this. This place has turned into a good place for info. I know you have been on speedtalk as well and I appreciate those that I find there as well.

Thanks again for the time you take on these boards sir,

Shawn

·
REBUILDING
10,877 Posts
Amazing! I am not an Engineer or a Chassis builder. I just have always loved to read about anything Mechanical. I especially crave knowledge about any and everything Drag racing. I am currently reading Dave Morgans Doorslammer chassis book and I think I've learned quite a bit just reading your post. I do not claim to know 1/1000th of what you guys know, but as a Certified CNC Setup Machinist with a little Trig background I can "keep up" with what you are explaining and I am utterly amazed!
I am learning more everyday as I read the Door slammer book and I hear that you reference the 4 link programs in your post.
What exactly do these programs do? I am guessing in this Computer age they do the Trig for you?
They must help you Chassis guys with your setting up cars? And where to locate the ICs?
I have been to many shops and I am fascinated with what you do! I can build all parts of a car... except the Chassis. Hell I can't even weld. But man, I respect what you guys do!

·
REBUILDING
10,877 Posts
Amazing! I am not an Engineer or a Chassis builder. I just have always loved to read about anything Mechanical. I especially crave knowledge about any and everything Drag racing. I am currently reading Dave Morgans Doorslammer chassis book and I think I've learned quite a bit just reading your post. I do not claim to know 1/1000th of what you guys know, but as a Certified CNC Setup Machinist with a little Trig background I can "keep up" with what you are explaining and I am utterly amazed!
I am learning more everyday as I read the Door slammer book and I hear that you reference the 4 link programs in your post.
What exactly do these programs do? I am guessing in this Computer age they do the Trig for you?
They must help you Chassis guys with your setting up cars? And where to locate the ICs?
I have been to many shops and I am fascinated with what you do! I can build all parts of a car... except the Chassis. Hell I can't even weld. But man, I respect what you guys do!
WOW!

·
REBUILDING
10,877 Posts
This is in reference to Mr. Shope.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All these programs do is find the intersection (instant center) of lines through the upper and lower link pivots. The procedure for this is taught in high school Algebra 2. I'm a bit surprised that there are those with the chutzpah to charge for a program. Of course, they usually provide a pretty picture which indicates all the possible locations and I suppose this is worth something to some people. Mine (Page 13) is bare bones, but, on the other hand, it's free.
http://www.racetec.cc/shope

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Why do you think I do this, for cryin' out loud? This is my way of "hanging out" with you guys. There's no longer a water cooler to gather 'round. Mostly just old people waiting to die here in Florida.
http://www.racetec.cc/shope

You can drive up here to SC and hang out with me and my friends Billy. We're all older but we got an extra chair in front of the big fan in the trailer at the track. We all got our health issues but at the track we talk about racing.......LOL. I know I'm old but I haven't admitted it to the kids we woop up on at the races......LOL. Ride on up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts