Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old laptop lying around. I'd like to try Linux on it. What's the best distribution for someone who's never used Linux before?

Tanks for the help

·
Registered
21,094 Posts
I like either Ubuntu or Mint (which is an Ubuntu spinoff) with either Mate desktop........which works somewhat like the old "simple" 95-98-XP. There is another desktop I'll have to look up it's "lightweight" ie light memory

I've used one or the other of above for years now. They are not flawless, but they ARE free

Here ya go.....LuBuntu is the "lightweight" one, but I find Mate is also "easy" on memory

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/flavours

Mint XFCE is the lightweight, but here again, that or "Mate"

https://linuxmint.com/rel_tessa_xfce_whatsnew.php

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I use Linux Mint Cinnamon 64 bit on an ancient Dell laptop(was originally a Vista machine) I love it. Fast,secure,stable, no anti-virus required. Comes with Libre office which can edit/create office docs. Comes with Firefox and Thunderbird mail. I installed Chrome. There is very little I can't do with it. Most wouldn't know they were not working on a Windows machine...it looks very similar.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I was using an Ubuntu laptop before I was given this MAC. Once you get it set up, Ubuntu is there the same way every day. It does what it's supposed to do with no bullshit. If this dies, I will spend the money on a ground up Linux laptop, no other operating system on it.

There are some programs that require a windows OS. Can't say for sure but I bet MS offered free help in setting it up. If you have one of those, a Linux won't run it, rather the other way around, it won't run on Linux.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help fellas

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Ubuntu is good. If you are ever gonna use it in a work environment you might want to try CentOS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts