Yellow Bullet Forums banner

"limp wristing"

3K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Ken Schertz 
#1 ·
I googled it and found a lot of threads but most simply argued whether it was myth or fact.

Bought our first handgun and shot yesterday SA XD 9MM

No problems for me but slide caught spent casing almost every time for wife.

I'm sure trigger time will help but she grew so frustrated I had to convince her to try again the last 2 times before she finally had enough.

I tried holding extemely loose and still had no problem so perhaps it is more of a technique vs. strength thing?

Any technique suggestions for women shooters with small hands, less strength and admittedly some hesitation.

BTW I think she made around ten attempts and caught caseing first shot on 8 and second shot on other 2. Never made it to the 3rd shot in a row. Loaded 10 rounds in mag.

#2 ·
I tend to jerk the trigger,,shots come in 7 o'clock low from center. My mentor says it's because I am gripping to gun to tight with my right hand instead of "squeezing" the gun between my 2 hands. Maybe this will help.

Good Ammo? New gun?

My wife shoots all our guns and doesn't seem to have a problem

#5 ·
Agree with above, run a few hundred through it before worrying. I've tried to induce malfunctions from limp wrist, and can't make it happen reliably.

#7 · (Edited)
A stovepipe jam can be caused by limp writing the shot but it can also cause a FTF jam depending on the pistol. My wife was having this problem consistently just after buying her new Sig 226. I thought I could see what was happening, took the gun from her and got it to jam on first shot by limp writing a certain way. Her Sig magazine has a lip on it that protrudes maybe 3/16 " out from the bottom of the grip, on the side of the grip nearest the trigger guard. When holding it limp, the gun would rock back, causing her little finger to put pressure on that lip, which pulled the magazine down in the grip just enough for the next round to catch on the edge of the ramp. These were hollow points, probably would not have been a problem with FMJ.

#9 ·
never had trouble with any SA i've shot. limp wristing could cause a jam. I've seen people rest their support hand's thumb on the slide and the slight pressure was enough to cause a FTF. Other possible cause is the mag release being hit while firing.

if the gun only does it when she shoots, whether its broken in or not, it's in her technique. just give her a couple boxes of rounds, a little training, and let her eat. Being broken in and cleaned/lubed properly will certainly help though.

#10 ·
I had an issue with my pt145 that caused me to change my grip on the weapon. If I limp wristed a shot, my thumb would push up on the slide release causing ftf's. I didnt really figure it out and marked it as a cheap taurus until it happened one day and the slide was locked back fully with 3 more rounds left. I paid more attention after and corrected my grip. No ftf's since.

#12 · (Edited)
It is not a myth, but the term limp-wristing is not completely accurate. The issue is that the slide / spring mechanism can be borderline too strong for a complete cycle even in a vice and if the shooter has a "loose" grip enough of the recoil is dissipated in the hand and arm to make the slide do a short cycle since your arm is not locked in.

Also, if the grip allows too much muzzle rise, the ejection timing can cause a stovepipe / double feed as well because of the axial rotation as the ejection is happening.

Problem with going with a light spring to reduce these problems is that stripping the next round can slow it down enough to keep it from locking into battery especially with some of that sticky lacquer coated ammo.

Good thread!

#14 ·
I've never seen anyone shoot accurately with light grip and I've been around more than a few top notch pistoleros.
Most work out with one of those spring squeezy things to increase there grip strength.

#15 ·
I put 500 rounds through my XD 45 when it was new without cleaning or oiling. Never had any issue regarding feeding or stovepiping.

On the other hand, I had an S&W 4553TSW(Sub-compact .45), and it would stove-pipe at least once per magazine...Regardless of how clean it was, how well oiled it was, ammo, magazines, who was holding it, etc. I fucking hated that gun.

#18 ·
I put 500 rounds through my XD 45 when it was new without cleaning or oiling. Never had any issue regarding feeding or stovepiping.

On the other hand, I had an S&W 4553TSW(Sub-compact .45), and it would stove-pipe at least once per magazine...Regardless of how clean it was, how well oiled it was, ammo, magazines, who was holding it, etc. I fucking hated that gun.
I had the same problem with a Glock 17. I couldn't wait to get rid of that piece of junk.

#17 ·
I been watching this thread, and was just waiting for an opportunity to respond. I (personally) don't think there is a such thing as "limp wristing" I do believe in improper grip. Believe it or not you can over-grip a weapon. Ever heard of high pistol grip on a M-4/16? It is where you grip the pistol grip to high. Same can happen with pistols. I have large hands, and I have to be caerful where I place my thumbs, because I have been known to induce a malfunction. I have to be careful where I grip also concerning the slide release. I have been known to use the slide release as extra support and when the weapon runs cold, the slide release remaining open it will return forward as if a round is in the chamber, but the chamber is empty.

#19 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I only put 50 rounds thru it so far, I guess I can blast away for a while and see if that helps for her.

I just can't understand that, for her, the slide catches the spent round (sideways) consistantly. It is almost as if the recoil goes the same direction and speed as the ejection.

We were at a range out of town with no one else there when we fired it. Locally here the ranges are more crowded. I feel I will have a hard time convincing her to keep trying as I unjam the gun with a bunch of strangers around.

Thru Google, I read one post where a man had a similar problem which was corrected with the help of a "tactical trainer", did not say what the correction was though.

I was wondering if someone here had a similar situation and could say hold it like this etc. Probably like trying to correct a golf swing online, gotta see it to correct it.

Thanks guys, I'll keep monitoring the thread and try to get her back out again. If we figure it out I will post it.

#20 ·
What kind of rounds are you shooting? Makes a difference. Might need a little help around the ejection port also to clear those rounds.

Last but not least, she might be anticipating the round going off.

Good little drill for that, please make sure you are safe doing this, load a spent cartridge in the chamber, let the slide go home and watch how she reacts. You will have your answer.

#21 ·
May not be how she's holding it...Could be an upper body strength/weight thing. Keep an eye on her arms and upper body when the gun goes off.

When you tried limp wristing it, I'm sure your arms and upper body were still subconsciously tightened up just like normal...a muscle memory thing.

#24 ·
Update:
Finally made it back to the range. Mt sister and brother in law recently purchase handguns as well. Hers a Sig 9mm his a desert eagle .45.
Wife got somewhat better. Sister fired one magazine thru and caught almost every spent casing with slide.
Guys had no problems with XD9. Girls had no problems with Sig or .45.
I noticed the XD ejects casings just inches up and right when fired. Both other handguns ejected well clear of gun.
It appears that if you allow recoil up and right you risk catching spent casing.
When wife did better she allowed recoil to left. Guys, with the added strength don't allow that much recoil.
Slide on XD is by far the hardest of the 3. Girls had an extremely dificult time chambering a round.
In the end, the XD is now mine and wife will go shopping again. We both now have more info to help with the next purchase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.