Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what is the limit (weight wise) for using a lightened ring gear. Car will be 3200 lbs and engine will be making no more than 425 ft lbs of torque backed up by an 11" diaphragm clutch. Leave rpm should be around 7000 on 28x10.5 slicks.

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas?

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Typically it does not hurt strength by lightening them as long as it is proffesionally done and your not trying to run a circle track lightened gear. Alot of pro gears are lighter weight now out of the box.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Wondering what is the limit (weight wise) for using a lightened ring gear. Car will be 3200 lbs and engine will be making no more than 425 ft lbs of torque backed up by an 11" diaphragm clutch. Leave rpm should be around 7000 on 28x10.5 slicks.

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas?
Do you have to run a diaphragm clutch per your class rules or something? If not I would not recommend a 11" diaphragm clutch period.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately, yes we do. NMRA Coyote Stock class starting next season. For some reason NMRA is dead set on that whole "street car equipment" dogma. Diaphragm clutches and Tremec/T5 style transmissions. I'd kill for a Soft-Loc clutch setup and a Jerico.

Arron, thank you for the info.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Unfortunately, yes we do. NMRA Coyote Stock class starting next season. For some reason NMRA is dead set on that whole "street car equipment" dogma. Diaphragm clutches and Tremec/T5 style transmissions. I'd kill for a Soft-Loc clutch setup and a Jerico.

Arron, thank you for the info.
Well sorry about your luck there. What do the rules say as far as clutches go, isn't it no long style adjustable clutch or something to that effect? If thats the case its not making you run an 11". I would look into McLeods new 8" diaphragm deal they have its set up originally to be a dual disc but you might be able to drop it back to a single and save alot of parts. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here ya' go......

Standard Ford OEM factory-replacement-style single disc diaphragm clutch required. Steel or aluminum pressure plate a minimum of 10.0-inch in diameter is required. Adjustable pressure plates, or long-style pressure plates are prohibited.
Sucks, doesn't it? ;)

·
Registered
424 Posts
So the size requirement is just on the pressure plate not the disc.;)

·
Registered
458 Posts
My experience has been that lightened gears last longer. Don't know why, maybe a little flex is a good thing?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts