Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asked this on another form with no results. I have a AllPontiac IAII block/motor with Tiger heads and Jesel shaft rockers. Tired of roller needles failing and going in crankcase. Doesn't happen often but makes for a PITA. I do try to provide proper maintenance but dodo happens. I went to bushing style lifters but then rocker decided to crap out. Which I might add Jesel took very good care of me. ?
Does lifter valley scenes really help? Just epoxy in place ?
Anyone have any pictures for install. Pontiac preferrably. ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Mine are a steel screen held in with what looks like a bead of JB Weld around the entire edge of each piece.
The round opening in the front of the block has a screen pressed in like a core plug.
Dave

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
My advice is don't do epoxy. Mine partially lifted in my 496 BBC. Ground and cleaned the area very well but it did not hold. Was in there for years, so not sure how long it lasted. Imagine that coming loose inside and possibly falling through!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for info. I would be worried about epoxy holding.
The drilling and tapping sounds like a option. It will be most likely done over winter break

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
I add magnets. Use rare earth neodymium magnets, you can find them on ebay. They are the kind of magnets you don't play with unless you like blood blisters. I put them in the heads, lifter valley and oil pan. Also in trans pan and differential.
Much of the darkness in "dirty" oil is metal filings from wear. With the magnets you'll be amazed at how clean oil stays and how much the magnets pick up. If you're on cast iron they will stay in place by themselves. On aluminum heads they'll stick to the head bolts or epoxy in place.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I add magnets. Use rare earth neodymium magnets, you can find them on ebay. They are the kind of magnets you don't play with unless you like blood blisters. I put them in the heads, lifter valley and oil pan. Also in trans pan and differential.
Much of the darkness in "dirty" oil is metal filings from wear. With the magnets you'll be amazed at how clean oil stays and how much the magnets pick up. If you're on cast iron they will stay in place by themselves. On aluminum heads they'll stick to the head bolts or epoxy in place.
Thanks. Had some in pan.

·
FHRITP
50,686 Posts
Seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you buy this screen in sheets?
Is it stainless steel? Would like to cut my own shapes.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Why not just regular magnets?

·
Registered
709 Posts
I've epoxied mine on several motors using JB weld and following the correct procedures I haven't had a failure. I have found cracks in the epoxy a few times but I was able to repair them. I have used screens and magnets from McMaster-Carr,they worked well for me.

·
Pontiac aficionado
2,850 Posts
Have installed them in tons of BBC and SBC engi0nes. Just make s0ure t0he metal is su0per clean b0efore 0using the Moroso or JB epoxy. I have seen them pull up after a long period of time. But recommend them. The latest IA block was basically done like the BBC for support and can use the same screen type deal.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Why not just regular magnets?
Have you ever tried rare earth magnets? Regular magnets are a joke compared to the power of a rare earth magnet. You can stick a quarter sized magnet on a cyl head and pick the head up by the magnet. The other thing is magnets deteriorate with heat. There are rare earth magnets that are high heat rated for inside motors.
You really have to get a couple and see just how powerful they are. I have some small ones, the size of a large aspirin. If I stick them together you cannot get them apart without tools.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Have you ever tried rare earth magnets? Regular magnets are a joke compared to the power of a rare earth magnet. You can stick a quarter sized magnet on a cyl head and pick the head up by the magnet. The other thing is magnets deteriorate with heat. There are rare earth magnets that are high heat rated for inside motors.
You really have to get a couple and see just how powerful they are. I have some small ones, the size of a large aspirin. If I stick them together you cannot get them apart without tools.
We got a bunch of rare earth magnets out of computer drives back in the day, they are so powerful you can't pull them apart, and if you put one on 1 side of your hand and one on the other side, they will squish your hand! It's crazy. They can also pull metal grinding out of your eye should one get in your eye

1 - 20 of 25 Posts