Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think would be a good lifter for this setup.. Ive asked my engine builder to tell me what he thinks is best, but his head is so far up his ass he doesnt respond at all.. Super good guy and as smart and talented guy but as lazy as you can get.. Anyways, Ill order the lifters myself so he can finish the motor up with the next 10 years.. :cautious:

It's a TT 347 (Iron Eagle block) thats just a street car with a hydraulic cam.. I was looking at the Crower's below.. What do you guys think?

Crower Hydraulic Roller Lifters 66337-16

·
Registered
21,311 Posts
Those are nice, although I doubt you'd go wrong with any of the major name brands. I think Morel actually makes lifters for many of the brand names so you may be getting the same product in a different box in some cases.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I got a set of Jesel lifters & never had an issue since. 100s of passes on them over 8yrs of use. If you got the $ that is what I would recommend.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are nice, although I doubt you'd go wrong with any of the major name brands. I think Morel actually makes lifters for many of the brand names so you may be getting the same product in a different box in some cases.
Did some looking into them and I "think" Johnson makes these and they're only good for about 6000-6500 so these are out.. Lunati makes a high RPM lifter that MIGHT be a Jihnson lifter too.. Kicking myself for not going solid..

I got a set of Jesel lifters & never had an issue since. 100s of passes on them over 8yrs of use. If you got the $ that is what I would recommend.
Could only find solids from Jesel.. Maybe I overlooked them but couldnt find them anywhere..

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
Lunati are Morels. Isky has some nice hydraulic roller designs that use Johnson valving and conventional needle bearing wheels or bushing style wheels. Comp has some decent short travel hydraulic rollers that are not Morels to the best of my knowledge. Several good choices.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lunati are Morels. Isky has some nice hydraulic roller designs that use Johnson valving and conventional needle bearing wheels or bushing style wheels. Comp has some decent short travel hydraulic rollers that are not Morels to the best of my knowledge. Several good choices.
How do you like those Lunati/Morels compared to the Isky's? I'd like to stay away from needle bearings if I can.. I might be paranoid but the potential of a failure and an engine full of needle bearings gets me nervous..

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
I am a fan of the bushing style lifters and in many cases I don't even consider running hydraulic roller cams/lifters since the bushing materials have gotten so good the last few years. Isky has pushed material science limits for years and its paying off now. I think they have some of the best materials in the business. There is also another bushing style gaining momentum and that is a DLC coated steel bushing that is pressed on the shaft and the wheel rotates on the DLC surface fed with pressurized oiling. They appear to be almost indestructible and do not wear either. I deal with the mfg directly if anyone would like a set. They also offer standard bronze bushing material and conventional needle bearings. They only offer solid roller lifters at this time. They only deal with engine builders and do not sell to the public.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you going to use a 5.0 type Hydraulic Roller cam or a custom cam?Only reason i ask is i thought those Retrofit Lifters were for engines that couldn't use the factory type 5.0 Hydraulic Roller Lifters?
Custom cam.. I talked to the tech guy at Lunati about which lifters would be best for for this block and rpm range and he said these lifters are the right ones to go with.. The spec sheet on my block says OEM style, tie bar style lifters and Lunati pointed me to these.. You have me second guessing now.. Kicking myself for not going solid which Im very comfortable with...

Attachments

·
Registered
17,884 Posts
Custom cam.. I talked to the tech guy at Lunati about which lifters would be best for for this block and rpm range and he said these lifters are the right ones to go with.. The spec sheet on my block says OEM style, tie bar style lifters and Lunati pointed me to these.. You have me second guessing now.. Kicking myself for not going solid which Im very comfortable with...
Sounds right if using the factory 5.0 style cam with the hold down piece in the center of the block i don't think those lifters would work in those applications!!I wonder why they said OEM style tie bar lifters though as the 5.0 Ford style Hydraulic Roller Lifters don't have link bars?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Sounds right if using the factory 5.0 style cam with the hold down piece in the center of the block i don't think those lifters would work in those applications!!I wonder why they said OEM style tie bar lifters though as the 5.0 Ford style Hydraulic Roller Lifters don't have link bars?
I think “ oem “ is more for the dimensions. Body diameter and wheel diameter.
The aftermarket blocks can accept the oem type spider tray system or the much better quality and way more optional link bar style. Be it a hydraulic roller or a solid. Most manufactures have not only both but multiple levels of quality of both.
Link bars are way more money but are totally worth it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts