Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am debating on if I should go with Lexan or Glass on my Nova windshield. It currently has lexan but it looks horrible and the only bad thing is if I wanna go back to glass I have to go back and weld up all the holes and put in new clips, buy trim, and then get another windshield. I don't think the lexan would look bad if I found someone to put a new piece in and cut it cleaner and installed it better. I dunno what would you guys do? It's a street strip car but I don't plan to have it in rain and it doesn't even have wiper arms on it anymore

·
cynic/realist
15,961 Posts
I put glass in my car. the weight is outweighed by the other positive attributes.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the pro glass have to be cut down or is it an exact fit? Did you install it with.screws or the original trim?

·
A Fine Example For Others
40,872 Posts
Does the pro glass have to be cut down or is it an exact fit? Did you install it with.screws or the original trim?
Reading their website, it says the glass is cut over sized, or it can be cut to fit. The glass can be installed in it's factory assembly, ie; glued or gasket.

I like the fact they carry it in 1/8"...3/16"...1/4"

I'm wondering if they can tint just the upper portion like my factory window.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whoever installed mine used the black sealing strip and self taping stainless screws it was cut to fit but it looks terrible

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Get one of these .... they aren't cheap , but it will be contoured exactly like the factory glass and they look incredible !!!!

http://www.proglasswindows.com/
A HUGE X 2 ^^^^^^^

I bought a lexan factory fit contoured Windsheild and Rear Window for our 72 Nova and could not be happier with them.

Of course I went with the Mar-Gaurd and also had the luxury of having a Buddy who works for a Local Auto Glass Company and had him come help (cost me a 12 pk of his favorite Beer) to remove all my Glass and then to help get all the lexan put back in. We used some Window Seal (same stuff almost as what is used on the Glass Windsheilds) that he brought with him for the Windsheild and Back Window and then re-installed my factory trim and wound up with all the Good Qualities of Glass for the Weight savings and Safety of lexan.
There has been a lot of people look at our car and never notice that the only Glass in the Car is the a couple of Mirriors !

I did however go and purchase locally some flat Mar-gaurd lexan sheets and made my own Door, Rear 1/4, and wing windows using the original Glass as template's and unless you walk up and Tap on them you would never know.

BE SURE TO LOOK AT THE WEBSITE THAT HE POSTED ABOVE BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING.
Thats my best advice.

RC

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My biggest thing is all the clips were cut off so i would have to weld up all the holes, reinstall and mount all the clips, buy trim and then the glass.

·
THREAD KILLER
5,135 Posts
what clips were cut off? they just slide over the studs. You can also urathane it in and use a piece of late model weather striping instead of the stainles

·
THREAD KILLER
5,135 Posts
you just prep the glass channel, lay a bead of urathane set the primed glass in then fill the cahnnel with urathant and press in a modern T molding. Any good glass shop should be able to handle this, its extremely common in the street rod world.
looks like this

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you just prep the glass channel, lay a bead of urathane set the primed glass in then fill the cahnnel with urathant and press in a modern T molding. Any good glass shop should be able to handle this, its extremely common in the street rod world.
looks like this
With glass lexan or either? In my opinion that looks way better than the trim

·
Registered
909 Posts
A HUGE X 2 ^^^^^^^

I bought a lexan factory fit contoured Windsheild and Rear Window for our 72 Nova and could not be happier with them.

Of course I went with the Mar-Gaurd and also had the luxury of having a Buddy who works for a Local Auto Glass Company and had him come help (cost me a 12 pk of his favorite Beer) to remove all my Glass and then to help get all the lexan put back in. We used some Window Seal (same stuff almost as what is used on the Glass Windsheilds) that he brought with him for the Windsheild and Back Window and then re-installed my factory trim and wound up with all the Good Qualities of Glass for the Weight savings and Safety of lexan.
There has been a lot of people look at our car and never notice that the only Glass in the Car is the a couple of Mirriors !

I did however go and purchase locally some flat Mar-gaurd lexan sheets and made my own Door, Rear 1/4, and wing windows using the original Glass as template's and unless you walk up and Tap on them you would never know.

BE SURE TO LOOK AT THE WEBSITE THAT HE POSTED ABOVE BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING.
Thats my best advice.

RC

Just curious, are you running wipers with this setup?

Might be a dumb question but my current project needs to be able to be driven to the track, so I want to keep wipers, but I'm interested in losing the weight of the glass.

·
Registered
61 Posts
We use Pro Glass out of all the company's out there they are by far the best.I would be glad to help if you need it give us a call.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts