Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into picking one up, a Henry .17 HMR to be exact and I was told by someone that ammo with a "point" on the projectile has a tentency to get jammed in guns like these because of the way they are loaded into a tube and I would be better off getting a .45ACP or similar. I am looking for something cheap to shoot but more exiting and different than a typical .22 rimfire.

Anyone heard this or have opinions on them?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Centerfire: Point is bad. The tip sits against the primer of the cartridge in front of it. So, recoil can cause it to pop the primer.

Rimfire: The primer is on the rim. The tip is against the center of the case head, and away from the primer. Plus they don't recoil enough to cause a problem anyway.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was informed that even a rimfire cartridge can ignite the primer by striking the center as well. My primary concern is how well they feed and if they do indeed jam easily, I know the .17 HMR is a necked down case with a small pointed projectile and aparently they can wedge themselves when chambering.

whtcoupe I did notice Savage had a good selection of lever action rifles as well, Im just looking for a fun good quality gun I can shoot alot and not cost a fortune, I would love a .45acp but previous experience buying that ammo I have spent enough money on that ammo to buy a few guns and it only makes sense for target shooting to switch to a cheaper round like the .17 HMR and not have the run of the mill 22 rimfire ya know. I might have to look into Savage as well thanks for the comment, how is the accuracy of your .308?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I was informed that even a rimfire cartridge can ignite the primer by striking the center as well. My primary concern is how well they feed and if they do indeed jam easily, I know the .17 HMR is a necked down case with a small pointed projectile and aparently they can wedge themselves when chambering.

whtcoupe I did notice Savage had a good selection of lever action rifles as well, Im just looking for a fun good quality gun I can shoot alot and not cost a fortune, I would love a .45acp but previous experience buying that ammo I have spent enough money on that ammo to buy a few guns and it only makes sense for target shooting to switch to a cheaper round like the .17 HMR and not have the run of the mill 22 rimfire ya know. I might have to look into Savage as well thanks for the comment, how is the accuracy of your .308?

Its not as likely, since there isn't anything to hit the primer against. I suppose there is still a chance, but nothing I would worry about.

Savage model 99 uses a rotary magazine, so it doesn't have the "inline" issue that tubular magazines have. So you can get away with pointed tips. However, the balance on a savage 99 isn't very good IMO, plus it makes the action very wide.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont have any experience myself with this stuff I am just repeated what I have heard from others. After doing more digging around it seems I was mistaken and they make lever actions in .45 long colt which is different than .45 ACP. Saw alot of good reviews of the .17HMR on the internet so I might have to give one a try and see how it is. The Marlin .357 has got me thinking too, maybe I'll some more looking on that as well. thanks for the words of advice guys, more opinions on lever actions are appreciated as well

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
i have got a winchester 307, supposely same as 308 just that the rounds are not pointed. never shot it but its pretty to look at.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Rossi makes an 1892 lever action in .357, .44Mag., and .45 Colt, you can also get Italian made 1873 and 1866 replicas that shoot very good in those calibers. Marlin makes the 1894 and 1894CB that's also a nice rifle. These are what the Cowboy Action Shooters use, go to www.sassnet.com or www.cascity.com to get even more info.

·
Registered
704 Posts
We bought my son a the 100 anniversary boy scout henry when he got his eagle scout earlier this year. after he got it he wanted to take it to the range we shoot at he told man dad this thing is smooth. I will admit I will own one in 45 long colt before I die it was smooth accurate and just a nice gun.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
The round on the left is what I had to use in my Marlin .444 lever action rifle.. To keep from setting off rounds in the guns tubular magazine..

Until Hornaday came out with the round on the right.. The aerodynamics of the new round added 200 yards of accuracy to the .444 ..

·
Registered
22,179 Posts
My Buddy at work just bought a 444 off the original owner that is like one from either the 1st or 2nd year of production.

It has a straight stock vs the "pistol-grip".

He is going to use the red-tipped shells in it. He's tickled pink with his find.

pdq67

·
Long Live The King
106,877 Posts
I am looking into picking one up, a Henry .17 HMR to be exact and I was told by someone that ammo with a "point" on the projectile has a tentency to get jammed in guns like these because of the way they are loaded into a tube and I would be better off getting a .45ACP or similar. I am looking for something cheap to shoot but more exiting and different than a typical .22 rimfire.

Anyone heard this or have opinions on them?
FWIW my Henry .22 Mag lever action is a great gun. The first one I got had an issue cycling, I took it back to the gun store and they shipped it to Henry and they replaced it. I've heard their .17's shoot great.

G-

·
Registered
148 Posts
My Standard .22 LR Henry is great. I would someday like to get a Big boy in .357 .44 or .45 I would buy from them again. I have not had any problems with mine but there are many positive storys about how good their customer service is. Check out http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67 Rimfirecentrals Henry Forum for some good reading. The Henry Company sounds like they really take care of there customers.

·
Cowboy up
1,690 Posts
ScottyK, Accuracy is very good and flat shooting. Just make sure you have a good scope, I have mostly all Leopolds on my guns.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Rossi makes an 1892 lever action in .357, .44Mag., and .45 Colt, you can also get Italian made 1873 and 1866 replicas that shoot very good in those calibers. Marlin makes the 1894 and 1894CB that's also a nice rifle. These are what the Cowboy Action Shooters use, go to www.sassnet.com or www.cascity.com to get even more info.
I have both the Rossi and the Marlin Cowboy in .45 Colt

the Rossi needs the action smoothed but is a descent rifle...the Marlin is one great lever action but also more costly..

I bought the 2 about 15-16 years ago for coyboy action shooting..soon after I went thru a few surgeries to where I couldnt compete...

I reload all my ammo and that maybe a consideration for you if you are planning on shooting thousands of rounds per year..plus you can taylor the loads to your rifle or pistol ..

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The 357 sounds like a good way to go, you can shoot the cheaper 38 rounds through that for just target shooting right?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts