Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a customer running a 6000 lb van with a turned up Duramax using N2O.
Supposedly approximately 800 HP and 1500 lb/ft. We're using a 4L80E, running all 4 gears in the 1/8th mile.

It has a stock 4L80E B81 style converter with a triple disc/billet cover kit.

We're seeing 3700 rpm stall on the logs. The van runs faster with the converter locked. 4000 rpm is the max desired rpm.
Converter isn't ever completely locking up under power. 200-1000 rpm slip.
I've got a plan to help that with apply pressure but I'm thinking it would be easier and the whole combo would run better if we could bring the actual stall down to ~2500ish.

Any converter gurus got some input?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol holy shit.

Whos converter? Brand?
I don't really want to even talk about who did the converter. I referred the customer and we did a cut/clean a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't even tig welded or furnace brazed. I was more than a little bit pissed to find out.

We fixed that and we're "moving on".

IMO it isn't working anyway, the converter is too loose and the triple disc setup isn't holding.

·
Smoked another CTD
3,952 Posts
Call Coan. They made the converter that was between the Duramax and 4l80e in his old 9 second Mustang. Never had a bit of trouble with that converter.;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm the customer Jake is asking for. I don't want to mention who the converter company is either, but they have contacted me, apologized, and offered to make it right.
tcsperformance.com talk to rusty, he makes the triple disk kit for about 99% of others. he is good, not cheap but good.
Jake is very familiar with this company. They are one of the companies Jake referred me to, but they said they could only do a single disc. I don't even think they would do a billet cover for my application.
Call Coan. They made the converter that was between the Duramax and 4l80e in his old 9 second Mustang. Never had a bit of trouble with that converter.;)
What's up Johnboy? How have you been? Do you know any specifics on that converter such as the diameter and the stall speed?

·
Smoked another CTD
3,952 Posts
What's up Johnboy? How have you been? Do you know any specifics on that converter such as the diameter and the stall speed?
Busy. I am doing well.
It was a 310MM lockup conveter.

We could stall it to 3500. But the engine was 427" high compression set up with progressive nitrous setup to spray it to what ever boost level we wanted.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Gale Banks Duramax team liked the converters from Hughes. They picked up some MPH

·
Smoked another CTD
3,952 Posts
Gale Banks Duramax team liked the converters from Hughes. They picked up some MPH
They ran a non lockup. OP wants lock up.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I wonder if Hughes could build one? They do the lockup glide and converter that Mike Wood ran in the dragster. I have one in a box as a really expensive table until my truck is done ;)

·
Smoked another CTD
3,952 Posts
I wonder if Hughes could build one? They do the lockup glide and converter that Mike Wood ran in the dragster. I have one in a box as a really expensive table until my truck is done ;)
I am sure they could. I am aware the trans and converter in the dragster.;) It worked great. But the OP asked about a 4L80e converter. Lots of people make them. But I am only aware of one company that has a proven converter to go between Duramax and a 4L80e that is why I mentioned it.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I am sure they could. I am aware the trans and converter in the dragster.;) It worked great. But the OP asked about a 4L80e converter. Lots of people make them. But I am only aware of one company that has a proven converter to go between Duramax and a 4L80e that is why I mentioned it.
LOL, good point! I wish I had thought to ask Mike about buying the Mustang trans, I would have given it a shot in my new truck!

·
Smoked another CTD
3,952 Posts
LOL, good point! I wish I had thought to ask Mike about buying the Mustang trans, I would have given it a shot in my new truck!
The XP5 Glide should work great for you!
Little Secret about the 4L80 the Mike had. The trans brake worked in both 1st and 2nd gear. We left in 2nd gear. We called it the ghetto glide!:p Leaving in second gear worked great with more weight and less power than you should have.

Just little note to all.
I am BIG fan of Hughes. I am not hating on them. I run some of there stuff in my own 4L80. I don't need Pete calling me saying hey John what is up with no love us again.:eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts