Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of building two different parachute setups for the same car. Both involve a cross bar connecting the two frame rails together. What are people using using for tubing with these? I was thinking of using 1.75x.083 as a cross bar with 1.625x.058 sleeve and using a 1.5x.065 anchor(this would slip into the 1.625 sleeve and have cross bolts to hold in place). I was bouncing idea's off a local fab guy and he said I was going way too big on this and over engineering the setup. One style is welded to the frame rails and the other side is actually bolted onto the back of the frame rails(oem setup).

If anyone has questions on what I'm asking I can post up some renderings of the design I made in CAD.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
You are going a little bit overboard, but then again, its a parachute to slow you down, and the small amount of tubing youll be using, wont add much weight versus going smaller.
Just think of triangulation when your doing it. Heres a picture of a Pro Stocker. It will just get a piece of 1.625x.083 stubbed out the back, with two small gussets on each side. Its all about triangulation though!

Kyle

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Thanks. Its when I worked for Ness...so I cant take all the credit for it. That guy taught me bundles and bundles of information. Got to take alot of pictures for future reference as well! :)

Kyle

I have worked on a couple Ness cars. definitely works of art!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The cross bar in both situations would not be a straight bar however bent with the tubing bender and notched at the cl of the apex where the sleeve would be and welded 360 on both sides.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
That looks fine. You will want to weld a piece of tubing into the tube that would be on the inside. This will act like a sleeve and prevent it from crushing the tube when you tighten it down. Id use at LEAST a 3/8" bolt, if not 1/2".
Im jealous of AutoCAD 2008!!! I only have 2004. :(

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What would be the best tubing to use for said parts? I wanted to go with what I mentioned before but had someone tell me it's just too much and I could get away with less materials.

If you want a copy of 08 just ask. ;)

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I would still make two diagonals if at all possible...

but the way you have it drawn use the 1 3/4

Most parachute mounting locations on Chassis Cars are less than 20" wide and have diagonals, the tubing used would vary from 1 1/4 .058 to 1/58 .083 depending on who is building the car

What you are doing is pretty wide meaning Diagonals would be more important.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The total length across is 31" which is why I wanted to try to keep the cross bar one solid piece. I will also of course be using gussets at the sleeve/cross bar connection.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.