Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys say I could get a block with 3'' mains. What is the down fall in the future for this block? Won't be good for NA or turbo power? Be very hard to get parts? Will be harder on parts inside the block? This is on a Dart block. Got a deal on one if I want it but don't want the mains to hinder me later down the road if I want to go faster or want to build a safer more powerful motor.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I never heard or seen a Dart block with 3 inch mains..

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never heard or seen a Dart block with 3 inch mains..
It's an order one a guy had ordered awhile ago and never used it.

·
All motor wannabe
5,904 Posts

·
YB Liar and Chief
29,156 Posts
this subject came up a couple of weeks ago...
I never thought but could you put cleveland size caps on the bottoms and use a spacer in the top? I don't know shit about a ford but have done this in other applications.

·
YB Liar and Chief
29,156 Posts
145MSEMI is the part #.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I used to run a '69 windsor block with 2.75" journal crank. I think the spacers were Federal Mogul...I probably still have them laying around somewhere but not a complete set.

They'll take the stock caps, and I'm pretty sure you'll have to have the block at least align honed. They worked fine in my 8k rpm motor.

I see you're in PA. There's probably others, but Evanuik Racing Engines in Pittsburgh (North Versailles) has done alot of these spacer deals.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You can buy the bearing spacers and bearings from fedral mogual.I have them in a stock block with splayed caps.Be sure to chk though the trust is built into the bearing spacer not in the bearing it self and they make 2 diffrent ones.They have diffrent thrust widths.be sure of your crank before you order and you have to have the block line bored and honed after install.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
I HAVE put cleveland main size special caps on a 351 W block and then used a spacer on the "upper' with an oil feed thru passage..
done all the time...

this is also my preferred mannor for a stock block or a 3 inch main aftermarket block

it is best because the actual LOAD is on the cap
and the lesser load if any load at all is in the block where the spacer is...with the oil passage as an extra trough to feed the insert in a couple of places...

the 145 m as well as the 146 M ( 220 degree groove) semi finished insert is FINE... but as the part number states..it is a "semi finished insert"

it is not a drop in and run it size

when you use spacers or the aftermentioned "small cap' and the off the shelf inserts..you can replace the bearings at the TRACK if you had to.....

....... a semi finished insert is not this way...

but both mannors to accomplish the fitment will operate ..
have built them many ways...

the block itself can even be welded to the smaller saddle size if youy wanted to..
and then as said, buy the "small cap"....

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
one giant advantage to using a drop in insert is that....

in a clevite 1010 basic part number..
they make a plus on
as well as a minus one

..and a federal does not make anything like that...

so, then,
just how do you propose to gain or loose a thousandth in oil clearance with a "semi" insert...???

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Here is a pic of a block i put caps on, using a spacer in the upper half and cleveland size caps. I notch the spacers so I can use standard cleveland main bearing. So I have more selection in bearings as ordinary builder noted the fed. mog bearings come standard not in .001 or x's. I cut the flange off of the center main bearing because the spacer acts as the thrust bearing.

·
YB Liar and Chief
29,156 Posts
Nice job Johnson. Where are you getting those caps?

·
Registered
111 Posts
My 69 windsor block ran 10 years shifting 7000-8000. Mains always looked like new. How much heat can you build in 9 seconds?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts