Yellow Bullet Forums banner

101 - 120 of 141 Posts

·
Banksters Paradise
7,203 Posts
First thing most do is buy a aftermarket head then run the same times as Factory shit. Ànything 9.0 or slower.
Any factory LS head with a good cnc port, i agree.

15 years ago my 'absolute speed' stage2.5 factory 5.3 cnc'd heads made the same hp and ET'd in the cars that had them, as good as the best aftermarket cnc cathedrals at the time which back then were AFR's.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I texted Uncle Darin about a few things....that I'm gonna do. 1 stay out of other people's shit. They may not like the truth. 2nd Stick to the winners I've been dealing with. As I truly was hot ...on the subject of the $2k BS intake and it being enough for a 400+ cfm head just because so and so ported it. BS! Stay in my lane. I need a couple good months of work after my property/school tax...So I can Dyno this bitch.. Rowdy's (Ls7 heads) are anxious to be done with this Ls3 shit.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Quoted fromEmail- the hardened tips fail or even fall off the stock exhaust valves. So, if we are talking stock, I say I'll listen to my guy. I can agree with some of what you say, if they are aftermarket, then they should be good. I just stick with what works, and obviously, my combo works with the suggestions of My cam guy. Not saying there are none better, but As far as I've seen, especially in my area, there are not any hollow stem combos quicker than me, or even close for that matter. I guess you don't see many NA combos anymore, but I like a challenge. Doing more with less and doing what others say cant be done. Im doing it weekly.

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,415 Posts
bill the l92s an ls3 have the same exhaust valves..its a solid stem deal not a hollow,the intake valve is hollow on the ls3 vs the l92..

so im guessing then the ls3 valve isn't the issue judging from that quote..ive thought about swapping to a lighter exh valve..

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Quoted fromEmail- the hardened tips fail or even fall off the stock exhaust valves. So, if we are talking stock, I say I'll listen to my guy. I can agree with some of what you say, if they are aftermarket, then they should be good. I just stick with what works, and obviously, my combo works with the suggestions of My cam guy. Not saying there are none better, but As far as I've seen, especially in my area, there are not any hollow stem combos quicker than me, or even close for that matter. I guess you don't see many NA combos anymore, but I like a challenge. Doing more with less and doing what others say cant be done. Im doing it weekly.
Not sure what your talking about. We were all talking hollow stem LS3 valves that Ive turned to 8000 rpm vs the solid stem version that would have floated 1500rpm earlier...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Nothing - they both tend to fail. Every LS3/L92 head I do gets aftermarket exhaust valves.
Who's valve do you reccomend.? Ferrea 6000? so hollow intakes are fine, even though the margin seem damn thin? but ok, just need to buy new ex valves? Soon as i figure out how to post picks again I'll take some of how this 6.0/408 build has progressed since starting this post, from going to pic-n-pull for my $180 short block to now.. lol

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,415 Posts
Nothing - they both tend to fail. Every LS3/L92 head I do gets aftermarket exhaust valves.
thanks for the info ed..ive read about wear but never about the tips an such getting detroyed.

what sucks is im slowing gathering parts for another set of sqaure ports so it looks like ill be ordering 16 valves at some point..

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,415 Posts
Who's valve do you reccomend.? Ferrea 6000? so hollow intakes are fine, even though the margin seem damn thin? but ok, just need to buy new ex valves? Soon as i figure out how to post picks again I'll take some of how this 6.0/408 build has progressed since starting this post, from going to pic-n-pull for my $180 short block to now.. lol

there was a sheet that showed manley,ferrea's an i forgot the other but is showed the flow numbers on a set of ls3's using the different valves an the ferrea 6000 had the best out the 3..might be able to find it in the ls section..been some yrs since i seen it though

·
Registered
653 Posts
Not sure what your talking about. We were all talking hollow stem LS3 valves that Ive turned to 8000 rpm vs the solid stem version that would have floated 1500rpm earlier...
Niether am I, but I let my cam guy make all my decisions on the valvetrain. And apparently it works. (nevermind, I see he clarified. I try not relay wrong info)

Suicidal, maybe he was thinking I meant aftermarket hollow stem, either way, Ive left mine as he said, and it seems to work pretty well. I have the heavy valves. Maybe some hollow stem guys will step up and go faster with comparable combos. LOL

·
Registered
653 Posts
Ive turned my old heavy old valves 7500 with ease, just for reference.....

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,415 Posts
Niether am I, but I let my cam guy make all my decisions on the valvetrain. And apparently it works. (nevermind, I see he clarified. I try not relay wrong info)

Suicidal, maybe he was thinking I meant aftermarket hollow stem, either way, Ive left mine as he said, and it seems to work pretty well. I have the heavy valves. Maybe some hollow stem guys will step up and go faster with comparable combos. LOL

hoping to have data an my intake back maybe jan,i can then spec the cam for it an hopefully be ready come april when the tracks open to maybe give you a run at that number..you cant be the only one having all the fun now..lol plus i might give you a reason to finally push that thing hard an get that 5.7 number

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
So, bone stock, #821's i'm coming up with 284 cfm @ .700 lift, 280 @ .600 this is using a 4" bore test plate. I have read people post much higher #'s. but this is on my antique bench, at 10" I have read claims of 320+ plus at this lift with this head? Don't get me wrong, 280 seems good to me at bone stock. And maybe there getting the bigger numbers with a 4.155 test plate.? So now on to some gasket matching, thin the guide boss down, some simple bowl blending and remove some funny bumps in the intake runners. Whats the norm on what i should be getting for improvement with such mods? Can I expect 25-30 cfm improvement?

101 - 120 of 141 Posts