Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious.. I see numerous amounts of 3000hp+ boosted junkyard 5.3's filling the air space.. Lol. I would like to see, some real world, N/A stock block and hopefully factory head, carb equipped engine builds. You know, the stuff that is said to obsolete the 23deg gen-1's.. Is it really that easy to take an iron 6.0, a set LS3 or L92 square ports, a hot cam, and badda-boom! 600+hp.. Is it really that easy? Show me some combos please!:):)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
also too add.. I understand 400-500hp is easy to get to. but if a customer wanted a bracket engine in the 750-800hp+ N/A range, would it be worthwhile? Or at that power level it would be cheaper to just build a BBC or serious 18-deg Gen-1? I guess I'm trying to see the difference between say a tried and true 600hp gen-1 406 sbc vs LS based engine. THEN next step 750-850hp bracket engine, either serious sbc gen-1-or BBC vs building the LS bracket engine.

·
Registered
348 Posts
416 LS3 based, stock block, Wiesco +5cc dome pistons, K1 rotating, LS3 OEM heads cnc ported, hyd roller cam, 2110r lifters, CID intake un molested, 1050 dominator, 13.75-1 compression, C14....last weekend [email protected] 2550lbs 3rdgen Camaro

·
Registered
2 Posts
We've got a 422" LS making (so far) 658 tq and 916 hp. Factory LS3 heads that we ported on a half filled iron 6.0 block. Just some other basic details; it's got a dailey dry sump, 1450 carb, welded up super victor intake, and P116 fuel(powermist's version of Q16).

Of course this isn't just a heads and cam deal, just shows you what these factory heads are capable of when put on an all out piece.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
416 LS3 based, stock block, Wiesco +5cc dome pistons, K1 rotating, LS3 OEM heads cnc ported, hyd roller cam, 2110r lifters, CID intake un molested, 1050 dominator, 13.75-1 compression, C14....last weekend [email protected] 2550lbs 3rdgen Camaro
Thats pretty damn stout! Assuming 2550 is race weight, at that ET thats at least 700 flywheel hp. even more if the driver was not added in the 2550!

·
Registered
717 Posts
5.3 gen 4 bored to LS1, 12-1 comp, CNC ported cathedral heads, big hyd roller cam, 575HP 6800rpm.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
also too add.. I understand 400-500hp is easy to get to. but if a customer wanted a bracket engine in the 750-800hp+ N/A range, would it be worthwhile? Or at that power level it would be cheaper to just build a BBC or serious 18-deg Gen-1? I guess I'm trying to see the difference between say a tried and true 600hp gen-1 406 sbc vs LS based engine. THEN next step 750-850hp bracket engine, either serious sbc gen-1-or BBC vs building the LS bracket engine.
It's not really all that hard to get 750+ N/A with some of the LS stuff. We have plenty of Z06 vette's running around with with more. We also have our OWN casting made/poured by Brodix for even more.

I know your not talking Z06 427 stuff, but that is most of our experience. FYI PORTED STOCK castings, OEM intake and some other tweaks has seen 616 RWHP.

The nice thing with the LS stuff is the new tech/design and that EVERYONE has LS stuff to choose from. Now for a 750/800Hp motor??? Guess it would depend on what the customer has. You can buy some pretty damn respectable 750/800Hp BBc fairly cheap in the grand scheme of things. BBc and LS do NOT need an aftermarket block to handle these power limits, where as SB is pushing it usually.

So IF you customer has a nice stock 6.0l LS, ya he could possibly just be a cam/heads/intake style build away from high 600Hp range. 700+ would think you need to go into the shortblock and build some compression and really get after it. Z06 stuff is no problem getting 750+.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not really all that hard to get 750+ N/A with some of the LS stuff. We have plenty of Z06 vette's running around with with more. We also have our OWN casting made/poured by Brodix for even more.

I know your not talking Z06 427 stuff, but that is most of our experience. FYI PORTED STOCK castings, OEM intake and some other tweaks has seen 616 RWHP.

The nice thing with the LS stuff is the new tech/design and that EVERYONE has LS stuff to choose from. Now for a 750/800Hp motor??? Guess it would depend on what the customer has. You can buy some pretty damn respectable 750/800Hp BBc fairly cheap in the grand scheme of things. BBc and LS do NOT need an aftermarket block to handle these power limits, where as SB is pushing it usually.

So IF you customer has a nice stock 6.0l LS, ya he could possibly just be a cam/heads/intake style build away from high 600Hp range. 700+ would think you need to go into the shortblock and build some compression and really get after it. Z06 stuff is no problem getting 750+.
Thank you sir! The kind of info I'm after! Its hard with me being a dinosaur. Lol.

·
Registered
653 Posts
364 cubes. Cleaned up L92s, milled A LOT. 2760-2780ish lbs. So far it has been 5.88. Top MPH has been 115.56. It will go faster. Should go 5.7s next time out. Last time out track just wasn't there and had a few passes that should have been 5.85 passes or so with a weak 1.26-27 60ft. It has been 1.220. Super easy, just need the right cam guy. WWW.FLOWTECHINDUCTION.COM

·
Registered
493 Posts
with a factory ls3 block 418,trick flow square ports super victor solid roller i was a best of [email protected] at a race weight of 2990.
Just put motor back together with little more cubes and compression, same cam and 4.0 CID. First time out foot braking and short shifting it and on limiter on the big end I went 115.1 to the 1/8 and 9.51 @142 in 1/4. same race weight as before. Once i raise the limiter it will be back over 144 again.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
with a factory ls3 block 418,trick flow square ports super victor solid roller i was a best of [email protected] at a race weight of 2990.
Just put motor back together with little more cubes and compression, same cam and 4.0 CID. First time out foot braking and short shifting it and on limiter on the big end I went 115.1 to the 1/8 and 9.51 @142 in 1/4. same race weight as before. Once i raise the limiter it will be back over 144 again.

https://youtu.be/Xyqc4QtpyFg
Beautiful Vette! So a 4" stroke drops right in an iron block 6.0 without much an issue? Going from solid roller from hyd. is that a big deal? Worth the expense? I imagine aftermarket rocker set up is a must going solid correct? Thanks for your post! -Mark

·
Registered
493 Posts
Beautiful Vette! So a 4" stroke drops right in an iron block 6.0 without much an issue? Going from solid roller from hyd. is that a big deal? Worth the expense? I imagine aftermarket rocker set up is a must going solid correct? Thanks for your post! -Mark

4" stroke needs rod bolts clearanced at bottom of the cylinders. I run Jesel shaft rockers on it.

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,432 Posts
its a cid ls3 4.0 none split intake..was a beast of a intake,motor had issues.pulled it apart to fix an decided to swap to fuel injection an sold the intake..damn thing was 16.5" tall with carb an 4150 adapter. hard to fit under a hood lol

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
364 cubes. Cleaned up L92s, milled A LOT. 2760-2780ish lbs. So far it has been 5.88. Top MPH has been 115.56. It will go faster. Should go 5.7s next time out. Last time out track just wasn't there and had a few passes that should have been 5.85 passes or so with a weak 1.26-27 60ft. It has been 1.220. Super easy, just need the right cam guy. WWW.FLOWTECHINDUCTION.COM
You and Tim Flanders are show offs.

Steve Winningham is right there with you guys too...

;)

1 - 20 of 141 Posts