Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Banned...Four Times
40,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a touchy subject. No flaming, no getting upset, no bashing. If you find yourself moving that way remove yourself. Those are the rules. I enjoy discussions that make you think and do some research. That is what this thread is for. BTW keep politics out of here, its more of an economic debate.

The subject is: Do unions still have a place in our economy, can they survive and why do you think one way or the other?

·
Philippians 4:13
2,922 Posts
In my opinion they don't have a place anymore, back in the day when they were formed they had a good reason for them. Just my .02, not here to argue or to change anyones point of view.

·
Registered
941 Posts
My understanding for unions was to protect the employee "back in the day". But today laws have been passed that take care of the employee so i do not really see a need. Wages, safety issues, and other benefits are now in place with most employers.

·
Moderater
13,302 Posts
I think the government should take them over....oh wait they already did...

·
DamCoonass
15,236 Posts
About a touchy subject. No flaming, no getting upset, no bashing. If you find yourself moving that way remove yourself. Those are the rules. I enjoy discussions that make you think and do some research. That is what this thread is for. BTW keep politics out of here, its more of an economic debate.

The subject is: Do unions still have a place in our economy, can they survive and why do you think one way or the other?

Not in my opinion they don't.

Back in the day they had a rightful place but proof that they are not viable or necessary is no further than 15 miles from my house.

The MOST efficient auto plant in the WORLD is the Nissan plant & it is NON-UNION.... & STILL expanding.

It's a little over 1.25 miles long now & will be almost 2 miles long when the latest expansion is finished.

·
Unoffical YB Fundraiser
14,678 Posts
If unions were so good......All union workers would be working.
You might think that union rate you are getting paid is great, but to pay you that great union rate they have to charge an over priced union rate.
Just my .02

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I was a member of 3 unions, grew up in a union house. The last one, sheetmetal union in St.Louis,I was a owner of a single man shop had to have a card for the jobs. Called got handed a special card just had to pay $1800. 2 years later get a letter in the mail addressed to the company telling me how the union is going to get the company a pay cut and take away 2 holidays at the new contract. Next day I get a letter to me the worker same address, this letter is telling me how they are getting me a raise and 3 more holidays. Went to the hall and my business agent about passed out. turned white as a sheet and told me I was not to have both of those letters. They gave me a withdrawl card a week later and told me as a one man shop I didn't need a union card just had to pay myself union scale.

Here in St.Louis the construction unions don't have the pull they used to. I am greatful for the unions as they made the trades get a good wage, but they don't have the power any more. I pass a couple jobs where I see pickets up for non union workers building stuff but the buildings go up and get finished.

Kids now days don't know about or understand unions.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The only reason I like the union is I have 21 years in and see my retirement growing. But as an owner of a union shop (const) they suck ballz!!!
I make a good living for the family but im not a big outfit and 95% of the time cant get the jobs that are not payed for with our tax $$$$.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I worked at Douglas Aircraft in Long Beach, Ca. from Nov. '87 to Oct. '92, member of UAW, after working in small machine shops and non union shops for 10 years, I had never been in a union shop and the way things were done floored me, I was told by an old timer, (I was 30 at the time) that I was working too fast and would work myself out of a job if I didnt slow down and pace myself.
Just one of many stories, but the point is this, I couldn't believe the waste and inefficiencies I witnessed there, well, as y'all know, DAC, as it was called, isnt there any more, was it the unions?
I think it had a lot to do with it, folks getting paid 23.00 an hr at the time to sit and read the newspaper, doesnt get it done, plus benefits, raises came at regular intervals, regardless of performance.
I think they promote laziness and complacency, along with a certain sense of entitlement that has not been good for us as a nation, thus many companies, looking to actually make profits, (which is why companies are in business to begin with) have looked to other places to find cheaper labor, albeit, at the cost of millions of American jobs.

Long winded, but reasonable. :)

1 - 20 of 175 Posts