Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure that someone will have already tried this somewhere, but i can't find anything on the net about it...

My Chevelle is tubbed and can fit up to a 20" wide rim. Problem is that anything over a 10" wide rim is a problem with the local laws I have to deal with. The rear end is beautifully built, and it seems a waste of space and money to have a complete housing/axle assembly sitting around for when I want to swap between the big wheels for the track and a set of 18x10 wheels for the street.

My question - has anyone seen a rear end housing extension before? I was thinking that you could buy two housing ends and weld them together with 3" tube joining them (to the overall 5" length that I need). This could then bolt up directly to the existing housing end so that the only changes I'd need to make from "pro-street" to "legal-street" is to remove the axles and brakes, bolt up the 5" extension housing, install longer axles and refit brakes.

I can't imagine that there'd be any deflection in the axle housing, but I wonder if anyone has done any torsional testing? Seems like a good way to keep your diff centre, housing, hard brake lines, tailshaft, 4 link bars and coil-overs in place without having to touch them...

Am I insane, or is this a feasible option? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
870 Posts
That sounds like a VERY bad plan to me! Even worse than a 4" or so wheel spacer. I would expect leaking to come first...followed closely by breaking the 4 bolts. My Two Cents, Lorne

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rod - I wish that was the case, but the housing width / wheel backspacing of the current combination won't work with a smaller width rim. Only have 4" backspacing as it sits now.

Lorne and Steve - You're right, it's not a good idea but i was hoping that someone might have proved that it had somehow been proven strong and safe so that I could quickly change from one housing/tire width to another width without having to change out everything. I would prefer not to buy another COMPLETE rear end assembly, but I hate the idea of having to remove a complete assembly only to strip everything off it to reassemble onto another housing. Looks like I might have to bite the bullet and start ordering...

Thanks for the reality check.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Then the other usuable solution would be the billet spacers that have wheel studs in them that you bolt to the flange with nuts and then bolt wheel to the new studs they use to put vette wheels on older cars. They also use them in the 4x4 world a hassle to remove and install but would work.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
So a stock z06 Vette would be illegal where you live? Dont they use 12" wide in the rear?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike - Australia. They'll cut you some slack on the registration and insurance costs, but big tires and blowers attract them like moths to a flame...

Rod - I'd also thought about that, but I'm wary of using billet alum, and steel would be ridiculously heavy.

Greg - haha I know what you're saying. Cars with wide tires from the factory are OK. Shelby Cobra and GT40 fakes get away with up to 12" wide, but modifying a production car has rules that state (among a million other things):
Vehicle track width cannot be reduced.
Tire size can only be increased by 30% over that which was standard for the vehicle at the time of production.
:(

The chassis work and 4 link, etc is all legal - it's just the tire width for the street. Looks like I'll just have to alternate between a street rear end and a track rear end...

·
Registered
916 Posts
Then the other usuable solution would be the billet spacers that have wheel studs in them that you bolt to the flange with nuts and then bolt wheel to the new studs they use to put vette wheels on older cars. They also use them in the 4x4 world a hassle to remove and install but would work.
i think using 2 billet spacers on each side would be safer than the the whole extension idea jm.02 ive used these on a bbf 3800lb truck w/no vibrations(1 each side)no probs just dont forget to retorque.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts