Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
for President!
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oncology/hematology Dr. is thinking of doing a couple stents in my Iliac Vein to keep it open. Anyone had this done? I have more doppler studies coming up and I see the surgeon Wednesday....Trying to keep my left leg going.....

·
Registered
556 Posts
I don't have any stents in my legs, but I have had two procedures for my heart. From a quick search of the web, it seems like its the same thing, just in a different place. From a patient's standpoint, the stent procedure is easy. The whole thing is over and done with in about and hour. I was awake for both procedures with just an IV "relaxant". I've had them go in through my wrist and through my groin. Honestly, the wrist was worse because they clamp it really tight for a few hours after the procedure to stop it from bleeding and the clamp is really uncomfortable. The groin will require you to lay still with a compress on the incision for a few hours, but isn't uncomfortable at all except for having to lay still. (Don't worry about the term "groin"; they go in higher up in the crease between the leg and lower abdomen.)

You will probably be on meds for life. I have some that I'm told will be short term (1 - 2 years in my case) and others that will be for life. These are to prevent clots from developing and platelets from sticking and clogging up the stent. The biggest downside is you'll bruise easily and bleed like a stuck pig if you cut yourself.

It is really important that you take the meds and follow the doctor's orders for the stent to be effective over the long term. This will likely include diet, exercise, maintaining healthy weight, watching your cholesterol and keeping your blood pressure under control. They also don't want you to sit still for too long at a time to prevent blood from pooling in your legs and causing clots to develop; I get up and walk around a bit at least once an hour.

My heart attack was caused by a clot that might have developed in my legs that worked its way up into a partially clogged vessel behind my heart. Clots can also make their way up toward the brain and cause strokes...this stuff is all inter-related, so that's why they are so strict about making sure you follow the after care procedures so you won't get any clots! (My mother in law had a few stents and didn't follow the doctor's orders very well; she then had to get some stents re-done and now currently resides about 6 feet under, so a lot of the long term success is up to you!)

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or even PM me your phone # if you want and I'd be happy to answer whatever I can. Best wishes on your continued health.

Rob

·
Registered
862 Posts
My 81 yr old mother had her left leg done 3 weeks ago and is having right leg done tomorrow. The Dr. put 3 stents in. The results on her left leg were amazing. Her feet have been blue/purple for a couple years and she had just attributed it to varicose veins. The color has come back and she is very happy. Not sure if this relates to what you are dealing with.

·
for President!
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sort of. I keep getting blood clots in my left leg. Not sure why. Dr. think the vein is being crushed by the artery that runs right next to (And possibly in my case over) it. Trying to find the cause and prevent more clots. Plus the left leg doesn't look very good anyway circulation wise. I'm 47, they say it's way to you to have this issue...

Rob, thanks for the reply. After I see the surgeon Wednesday, I'll know more. May give you a shout then!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Okay Mark. I was 48 years old last year when this all went down for me; I'm 49 now but feel 20 years younger than I did a year ago. It turns out I had a bunch of circulatory issues. It kind of sneaks up on you; there was no big issue that happened overnight (before my heart attack). But in hindsight, it was brewing slowly for a long time.

They probably have you wearing the compression socks now since your problems are in your legs. I wore them for a while after my procedures since my clots were thought to originate from my legs, but the Doc says I don't need them anymore. Just listen and follow what they say 100%. I do cardio at the gym 5 days a week, eat right, dropped 30#, blood pressure and cholesterol are fully under control for the first time in decades, and I'm pumping blood and oxygen like a champion. You won't believe the difference in how you feel after you and your medical team get those issues straightened out.

You are not facing a death sentence; you are getting a fresh new lease on life. It will only get better once you get the stents and your circulation gets back to more normal levels.

Keep me up to date on your progress.

Rob

·
for President!
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Rob.

I'm pretty beat up from military service, so exercising is a real challenge for me. Swimming is the only thing I can do really. Waiting to get clearance from the docs and I'll go back to that. Arthritis and autoimmune disease isn't helping either but I'm too stubborn to give in to them.

I think the leg issue is a big part of why I feel like shit. My resting heart rate is 58, my BP runs 100/70, and cardio wise I'm still in active duty shape. But everything hurts and feels just wore out. I'm thinking this will help matters a lot, at least with regards to my left leg, which is always swollen and always hurts like a bitch! I'll PM ya after I see the surgeon tomorrow.

·
Registered
121 Posts
41, have a renal artery stent and last week got a 30mm heart stent in the LAD. Both times through the groin and now they have the Angio Seal, rubber plug in the artery which dissolves in 90 days so you're moving around pretty quickly after the procedure.

·
for President!
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
41, have a renal artery stent and last week got a 30mm heart stent in the LAD. Both times through the groin and now they have the Angio Seal, rubber plug in the artery which dissolves in 90 days so you're moving around pretty quickly after the procedure.

That's good to know, thanks! Sucks you guys had to have it done, but it sounds like a game changer for sure!

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
We almost lost my brother to blood clots a couple of years ago. The doc said it was a miracle he was alive. He had multiple clots that all formed in his left leg and then traveled. One was in his hear a couple were in his lungs... The one that was in his heart should have killed him according to the doc. He is prior military too, he was in the Marine Corps.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I've had to have stent in the groin arteries twice, first on the right side when a major clog almost caused me to lose the leg. They cleared the clots, stented the iliac where it was narrowed and all was good for another 10 years.

Ten years later my legs blood flow had diminished enough I could barely walk. Didn't know it was caused by reduced flow until after testing. I 'shuffled' those little old man steps, sliding each foot forward only inches at a time. Never knew what caused it, only that whenever I'd see some sweet young thing jogged alongside the road instead of enjoying watching her tight ass and pert bouny boobs, I would be amazed by how easy she made it look to take real steps!!!!!

Dopplers showed very poor circulation, two stents in each iliac and doplers showed good circulation again. That same night while in the hospital I went outside to the smoke shack and was AMAZED, I COULD WALK, there was actually space between my feet, I was taking almost normal steps.

I almost cried. I never would have believed that anything would have made that much difference.

Dr prescribed Plavex for the first year after stents to reduce the liklyhood of a clot forming in or on the stent. Stopped prescribing it after that year.

I do take two aspirin a day, a combination which helps thin the blood, reduce severity of any heart attack. I take it to reduce the flushing I get from Niacin prescribed to help my cholesterol.

Get the stents, don't worry about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts