Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my kit all set up and sprayed for the first time today. Everything went real good except one thing. I tested my retard flowed the fuel purged the nitrous and the the motor just to make sure everything was working. Then I loaded up the car on the trailer and hauled a few miles it to a test spot I use. When I went to start the car it backfired through the carb. I think so.e nitrous is leaking past. When I was testing everything last night and just using the nitrous purge,I did find that my safety valve leaked past. Does this sound right? I don't think I should be having any issues, everything is brand new.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I always purge down after a run and leave the bottles off b4 I make a run. I listen for a different idle when I crack the bottles. Pull your line to the nitrous jet and turn the bottle on and check for any pressure. Could be trash in the solonoid from sealer, fitting, dirt in the line, etc. good luck!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
You sure it was nitrous in the intake? usually it does alot more than just a back fire.

Im paranoid about turning on the bottle with the car off, I also turn it on with the car running and listen closely. Also purge the line back out after the pass to avoid leakage into the motor. if im ever not sure, i crank the motor a bit without ignition to clear it out

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always crank the motor before I hit the ignition so I think some of it made its way out. The only time it gives me any trouble starting is when its cold, but it never backfired like that before. From now on I will be turning the bottle off just in case. I just wondered if this ever happened to anyone else with everything being brand new.

·
Registered
996 Posts
ive had brand new Teflon plungers seep a bit.. they seal right up after energizing the solenoid a few times.. kinda like they neede seated or something.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the kind of thing I like to hear. Now hopefully the valve is the same way. I will be in the garage tomarow bangin buttons and flipping levers! Lol. No but really.

·
Super Moderator
12,145 Posts
I always crank the motor before I hit the ignition so I think some of it made its way out. The only time it gives me any trouble starting is when its cold, but it never backfired like that before. From now on I will be turning the bottle off just in case. I just wondered if this ever happened to anyone else with everything being brand new.
Let me ask you this ?? Do you use a start retard ?? I see a start retard cause more starting backfires then nitrous. Especially in cold weather.. Not saying it wasn't nitrous but also could possibly been this ??

One thing to remember as well, pressure is what helps the solenoid seal. It the pressure was very low it can cause the solenoid to not seal properly.. Just a couple of things to think about.. SJ

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No I do not use the retard. The lower pressure makes sense at the selenoid. I used the safety valve to shut the nitrous off and then purged the 3 ft line going to the solenoid. I know some gas evaporates after a few minutes causing the line to gain a little pressure, I think that little bit leaked past and caused my backfire. I played around a bit today and my valve is not leaking now. I guess I will just have to keep an eye on things.

PS, the kit and tune up works great Steve. I sprayed the 100 shot pulling 5 from 34 degrees just to play it safe. The plugs look real good.could use a little more timing and maybe a little less fuel, but I will need to test more than what I had time for before I make any changes. Plus I need some time slips. Hoping to get to the track this week or next, after that the track is closed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts