Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a weird problem with a 10 lb NOS brand tank. Every time I put it in a freezer to chill it, it will completely leaks out. For example I have 5 lbs in it, and put it in the freezer overnight so I can top it off easily on the refill, well in the morning it will be completely empty. I am wondering if the blow off disc warps slightly when it gets down to a low temperature. I have made sure the valve is closed and it has no leaks. It can sit all winter in room temperature and will not leak at all. It is the stubby hi-flow NOS tank.

·
RED ROCKET
8,630 Posts
had this happen before as well..started putting cap nuts on the bottle fittings and it hasnt happened since...

·
Registered
31,670 Posts
That's like the O-rings on the Challenger when it blew up on lift-off. Freezing weather made the O-rings hard in the solid rocket boosters and they leaked.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
I agree with both...I now put Caps & have changed the O rings. Also, if the bottles are bouncing around in the trailer on the way to the track, this can cause the valve to slightly turn open, causing n20 to leak out. I made sure the bottles were secured better. Good luck.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Putting them in the freezer is hard on the O-rings, at least on mine it was. I started putting them in the fridge over night and you could almost completely fill or top them off without turning the pump on. I quit having O-ring problems after that too. Mine would leak down in the freezer as well.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Wow, I knew they had a teflon bottle valve nipple gasket , but they have a siphon tube/ bottle valve to bottle O-ring made from Teflon? I didn't know they had such a thing. Part#?

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
change to teflon o-ring (white)

You can also change the durometer and / or oring compound of the oring if you choose to use orings and that will help too. I actually use the teflon oring on some of my bottles to MT, but i haven't seen any lately.

Also there is no reason to leave the bottle in the freezer over night. Approx 1 hour in the freezer will cool a bottle with 1200 psi and 9#'s of Nitrous enough to fill the last 1 #, w/o a pump.

CAUTION NOTE: LEAVING THE BOTTLE IN THE FREEZER FOR THAT LONG CAN CAUSE YOU TO OVERFILL THE NITROUS BOTTLE WITH TO MUCH NITROUS!!! YOU CAN EASILY PUT 12+ #'s IN A BOTTLE THAT HAS BEEN IN THE FREEZER OVER NIGHT.

^^^ PS.... a friend to me that it would do that, as i have never done that..........lol^^^

1 - 9 of 9 Posts