Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the purpose of these sliders? How do they provide an improvement over a typical shackle set up? When/What warrants their use?

Just trying to get an education. I've done a search and most threads just talk about installation and set up. I'm wondering the when and why.

·
Who Farted...?!?!
3,485 Posts
no resistance...the bind of the bushibgs in shackles can change spring rate and add resistance. sliders give a no restricted movement to the spring letting it do its job. at least thats what i get out of it. have seen em benefit every leaf spring car i have installed them on regardless of power....

maybe someone else can ellaborate better

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I am putting a set on mine this winter. It is nothing special no big horsepower or nothing, but what is said above is true, no binding. Actually, I have read multiple case where if a shackle car is set up properly, you will see minimal difference in times per say, just more consistency. I also read that it makes shock adjustments and cal trac adjustments more effect for getting a car to hook.

That is why for me.
James

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I run sliders and like them, but I never had an issue with the shackles either. They were set up right.
Id say running sliders (set up properly) just eliminates a potential binding point in the suspension and helps with getting the ride height you want.

·
Registered
20,096 Posts
You want the suspension to move as free as possible...otherwise you would have no use for the 9 million position adjustable shocks you blew your money on:p

·
draggin' ass
13,418 Posts
Lets not forget, the majority of people replacing their shackles are replacing old worn out units with a zillion miles and never serviced. Speaking for myself, my Blazer has over 250,000 miles on it, of which I can gurantee the shackles have never seen any attention. The only factory bushings in my entire truck are the ones for the rear shackle (upper frame section). The spring bushings have been changed but the frame side is still what ever it left with from the production line.

For many replacing shackles with sliders is not simply replacing a well functioning shackle, it is creating a system that is smooth and bind free where it was not.

·
Registered
534 Posts
My entire rear end was rotted out so when I rebuilt it I went with sliders...For me they were easier to mount correctly than shackles and my goodness are the smooth...Are they better? Can't say for sure but it worked out better for me......

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
One other feature that is nice about the slider is making the ride height adjustable is pretty easy as well.

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One other feature that is nice about the slider is making the ride height adjustable is pretty easy as well.
How is that when the slider housing is permanently welded to the frame. How are ride height adjustments made once it's all welding in place?

·
Registered
534 Posts
How is that when the slider housing is permanently welded to the frame. How are ride height adjustments made once it's all welding in place?
I built the frame (which I had to replace on my old heap) so that mine set at the same distance the spring would have set if in a stock shackle....that is why mine were tacked in place when I was building the rear end in the picture I attached...

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Mine are not welded to the frame. Mine bolt through the frame.

Slider

Front spring perch

3 inches of adjustability front and rear.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Interesting.

(Posting mostly to be able to find this again later. )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts