Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Msd 7AL3 RAS to trigger the solinoid. It was shifting late almost hesitating. Bottle pressure was around 500# and shifting pressure was 110-115#. Sure does screw up your time when you miss your shift points. I'm was thinking possibly low bottle pressure. Any thoughts?
Thanks Rick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had a similar problem last year and my cause was a rough shifter cable. Shifter was way easier to manipulate after cable replacement. Hope this helps.

·
PROUD AMERICAN WORKER!
7,416 Posts
Had a similar problem last year and my cause was a rough shifter cable. Shifter was way easier to manipulate after cable replacement. Hope this helps.
x2...

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have seen this twice.The first time was my car and it was a bad shifter cable.The second was a weak solenoid.Like Greg said use an MSD tester and watch the shifter and see if it moves slow.

·
its blingtiffic™
9,829 Posts
Do you have a air ram to deploy the chute as well?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The shifter worked last race just fine. The bottle pressure was up closer to 1000#. I have no air chute. By using a jumper wire and making it shift it was a little weak. When I turn the pressure up around 110+ the solinoid starts to leak. I have a new solinoid to replace this one. I know if the pressure is lower than 110 it won't shift right. I have a new cable also. Probably will replace both pieces.
thanks Rick

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Lubricate the shifter ! Had same problem, very lazy, barely shift or would hesitate. Took WD40 lubed the shifter pivot points, worked it back and forth never had problem since, never touched anything else. This trick was given to me by an older racer. One thing us racers never think about is lubing the shifter. I do it every other race now as part of my maintenance.

Turbo Action Cheetah shifter reverse pattern with Biondo air solenoid and bottle. 110# shifting pressure.

·
its blingtiffic™
9,829 Posts
The shifter worked last race just fine. The bottle pressure was up closer to 1000#. I have no air chute. By using a jumper wire and making it shift it was a little weak. When I turn the pressure up around 110+ the solinoid starts to leak. I have a new solinoid to replace this one. I know if the pressure is lower than 110 it won't shift right. I have a new cable also. Probably will replace both pieces.
thanks Rick
We have twin chutes and found that will over 85 psi the Air launchers put too much pressure on the bag making the cables hard to move. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
500# of air in the bottle is plenty. Ran a couple of weekends ago and discovered after a perfectly good run that there were 35# in the bottle. I've gone up with 300# without issues dozens of times, remember it's being regulated down to something around 100#, who needs 1000# for that?

I think your problem is cable or shifter friction, or maybe solenoid, not the bottle pressure.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
500# of air in the bottle is plenty. Ran a couple of weekends ago and discovered after a perfectly good run that there were 35# in the bottle. I've gone up with 300# without issues dozens of times, remember it's being regulated down to something around 100#, who needs 1000# for that?

I think your problem is cable or shifter friction, or maybe solenoid, not the bottle pressure.

Actually that may be true in SOME cases, but NOT all with the 500lb bottle pressure. Lower bottle pressure can drag the shift out as it does not shift as quick or if the shifter is a bit stiff to shift due to other issues the lower bottle pressure can create this issue, although the higher pressure is a bandaid IMO it can fix this issue some cars. Same goes with a SLE and lower bottle pressure. It seems to be a 50/50 mix on both. I keep my Bottle Pressure above 800 at all times, nothing worse then having issues because I was to lazy to get it filled :cool:

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its a Cheetah shifter and there really isn't any resistence in the movement. I have a new cable to replace it with. I know when I don't have enough regulated pressure it will late shift and sometimes shift directly to 3rd. So it has to have at least 110# at the shifter. I think I will check my electrical connections also make sure they are good. Thanks for all the help.
Thanks Rick

·
e85 & injection guru
5,391 Posts
we had moisture in the air/noid tighten it up ,a cable getting hot on a header and a leaking regulator.went back to the shiftniod electric and a heat sleeved cable . the c02 isjust for the gate and p/v

1 - 14 of 14 Posts