Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an advantage or is there any truth in "getting a run at the converter" , say in the case you have a 5000+ flash converter and launch the car at 3500 to get a run at it? Or, should you raise launch rpm as near to the flash rpm as possible. Both scenarios assuming the track, traction can take it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
We have never seen an advantage, other than lowering your reaction times. That's mainly how we adjust ours.Car always 60's better up against the converter. The farther, the faster. And the wheelstands are higher, so if your gonna chip up, you have to tighten up the struts too. Otherwise we will unload on the wheellie bars. But that's with a footbreak class car type of converter.The MRT (minimum reaction time) converters might be different, IDK

·
Registered
826 Posts
I can't speak to all combinations but for mine I can tell you. I race a SB roadster that runs 5.60s footbraking. I had a race at the end of last year where I was racing it in footbrake and 6.0 class. I had a restrictor plate on it to run 6.0 and I was leaving at 5100rpm to cut a light on the .400 tree. I was leaving at 2200 in footbrake. My 60' times were 1.29 in 6.0 and 1.275 in footbrake. I have done it before and it's always been quicker to 60' leaving off the foot unless I drop the leave rpm on the transbrake.

Curtis

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I think like everything else the way the cars are setup makes them want something different. The way my car was set up I had a window of 500 RPM or so from 3000-3500 where it would pick up ET then anything after that made no difference. Just quickend the RT. This was with a converter that flashed 6000 too.

You would have thought it would like more but the engine didn't like it evidently.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My 455 Buick powered bracket car would have a better 60ft leaving at 1500 rpm Vs 3700 rpm, I guess it depends on the car/motor combo

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm new to drag racing and just put a car together but I can say that I've been testing this a little bit and for me, it doesn't seem to make a difference on 60'. I've been from 3800 to 5000 chip on a 5k-5500 converter and even footbraked at 3k... I would say like most already have, it just depends on your combo. The second night out of testing, I learned that what you would think would make the car go quicker or do something in particular may not always be the case; bass ackwards even in some cases. If you are really trying to find out your answer, I would probably just say to dedicate a night of testing to trying different chips to leave off of and maybe even footbraking a couple different rpms and seeing what it does. Don't change or do anything else! This is something I'm going to have to go back and probably redo since I made timing changes to mine twice while trying different rpm launches the other night to truly find out for a fact what my car does or does not like.

·
DamCoonass
14,805 Posts
Every combo will want something different.

My current combo picks up .06 to 60 off the brake leaving at 3600 vs footbraking it at 3000. The harder I hit it the faster it goes but is very violent.

Last combo was .03 quicker to 60 footbraking it from 3000. I could hit it harder but it slowed down.

The only constant is the same converter & 357 inches

Reactions: mrdragster1970

·
T/S 368E
28,331 Posts

A lot probably has to do with the converter.
I've tweaked a converter to fit a new combination, but I've never really had a perfectly tuned converter,
so my stuff has always been quicker with leaving just high enough not to stumble, over chipping it high.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts