Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You are in the pits, been there waiting for your class to be called, say 30-45 minutes or so.
Don't you have time to check your tire pressures then? You know where your air tank is.

We were watching the next class line up after our class ran and at least a half a dozen pulled into the lanes and got out and checked their slicks' pressure. Like driving 500 feet is going to change them.... It was just a laughable moment,, a Monkey See, Monkey Do situation.

·
Registered
11,168 Posts
People have their routine. As long as they aren't holding up the flow of traffic down the 1/4 I'm good. They can dance on their head if they want. :)

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
You are in the pits, been there waiting for your class to be called, say 30-45 minutes or so.
Don't you have time to check your tire pressures then? You know where your air tank is.

We were watching the next class line up after our class ran and at least a half a dozen pulled into the lanes and got out and checked their slicks' pressure. Like driving 500 feet is going to change them.... It was just a laughable moment,, a Monkey See, Monkey Do situation.
Our tire pressure's climb alot sitting there. Nothing wrong with checking tire pressures. JMO

·
Registered
794 Posts

Judging by the times in your Sig your cars may not be fast enough to see the importance of the correct pressure.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts

you obviously have no idea how much difference just a percentage off can change a cars tune up do ya? Especially guys that are bracket racing and the all out heads up guys..

Sitting in sunlight makes pressures go up.. many people like me have a certain psi they want to be at before the box.. some people even check them after the box to see how much the pressure went up.

Nothing wrong with what they are doing..

only problem is see is the guy pointing and laughing

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
I have seen pressure chnage a half pound form pits to staging - esp. if sitting in stage for a while.
we were close to that this past weekend. 30 minutes on the hot blacktop, compared to in the shade in the pits.

Bob

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I crew chief and partially own the truck we run and I am constantly checking air pressures before we go down to the lanes and while in the lanes. It never ceases to amaze me how much the air pressure can change in just a few minutes. A small change in air pressure can and will impact our runs.

·
Registered
15,547 Posts

Are you really that stupid?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Why do you think the Top Fuel guys cover their tires in the lanes. Actually I've seen funny cars, comp dragsters, altereds do it. Hey, thats funny, maybe it does make a difference.:rolleyes:

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
considering a tire is a porus thing...

Here is a simple routine you think is stupid. Tire temp needed is 6 1/4. After the last run once the car goes under the tent...I wait about 30 mins. Air the tires to 6 1/2. When I get the car to the lanes, I never go in first. Middle to tail end. Sometimes I won't roll in until the class is running. Let the car set....5 pairs away I bleed. Normally in that time it can and has creeped up.

Now, what if I came back from the run and never checked? Just assumed since I was @ 6 1/4 before the run it would naturally go up and never drop below...I go up to run and check my tires. One is 6 1/4 fine...but the other is now @ 6. Hmm, I am by myself and don't carry an air tank to the lanes.

I have to drop the other to 6 and waste a run.

Laugh all you want...

I go into the lanes high on psi so I can bleed them down...It is not monkey see monkey do. We actually do it for a reason. Maybe you could learn something by asking a bunch of racers why they do something, as opposed to making fun of it.

·
Registered
14,298 Posts
bet this went a whole different way then the OP expected.

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts

Feel the burn there?

have anymore astute observations there, Tiger?

1 - 20 of 229 Posts