Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
69,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More than likely I will need to be replacing my laptop here soon. It's over 3 years old and all the hard drive diagnostic programs I run say it's getting tired. I've been looking at the HP HDX model but still considering a 17" laptop also. I am happy with this HP I have now but would consider a different brand. One question I have about this HDX is Circuit City has a model on sale for $1600 that is pretty loaded except it has an Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 processor which is only the fifth best out of six that are offered for that model. However, this same exact model pieced together on HP's website is priced at $2100. I'm familiar with all the technology and what not, but am wondering if this processor is adequate. Any opinions on this? What about other models or brands?

·
My Own Worst Enemy
3,411 Posts
I have a HP Pavilion dv6920us . Had a friend of mine make it into adual boot with both vista and windows xp . I like it .

·
Registered
861 Posts
Don't spend too much on a laptop, in 6 months it will be worth half that....

check slickdeals.net

Best Buy has the Gateway T-6836 Laptop for $600. Shipping is $20. Thanks supergrover.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...logy+&lp=4&type=product&cp=1&id=1211587728253

Specs:
  • Intel Core 2 Duo Processor1 T5750 (2.00GHz, 667MHz, 2MB L2 cache)
  • 4GB PC2-5300 DDR2 memory
  • 14.1" Ultrabright WXGA TFT Active Matrix (1280 x 800 max. resolution)
  • 250GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive w/ 8MB cache2
  • 8X DVD+/-RW/RAM Drive
  • Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 network connection (802.11a/b/g)
  • Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
  • Integrated 1.3 Megapixel Web Cam
  • Genuine Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
  • 6 Cell Lithium Ion battery (4400mAH)
  • Weight: 5.7 lbs

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Dude you just missed a great deal from staples. We bought a 17" HP DV9910us for $649.
$250 off in rebates. 3 gig ram, 250 HD.

·
Banned
69,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was kinda looking for a more powerful comp that could end up being a desktop replacement. My Sony desktop is 4 years old now and even though it's still in perfect condition it's getting up there in age. I prefer a bigger laptop because I don't haul it around very often, something that has good graphics and perform like a desktop.

The reason I don't replace the hard drive is because it's 3 years old and this model is notorious for getting hot! It still works great but it's getting outdated.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I was kinda looking for a more powerful comp that could end up being a desktop replacement. My Sony desktop is 4 years old now and even though it's still in perfect condition it's getting up there in age. I prefer a bigger laptop because I don't haul it around very often, something that has good graphics and perform like a desktop.

The reason I don't replace the hard drive is because it's 3 years old and this model is notorious for getting hot! It still works great but it's getting outdated.
Why would you pay the premium to own a portable if it's not going to leave your desk? Save your dough and buy another desktop.

·
Banned
69,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why would you pay the premium to own a portable if it's not going to leave your desk? Save your dough and buy another desktop.
It comes in handy if I want to park myself in front of the TV for a night and I can do other shit online while on the couch. I do a lot of photography so I take it with me in the truck and when I go on vacation. So it usually stays in the truck so I don't end up carrying it around a lot, or it just goes from room to room. I don't think my desktop will die anytime soon, it's been upgraded to the point where it's still up to date technology-wise, but a desktop replacement will come in handy just in case it does die because I don't plan on buying 2 new comps right now.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
I like my Dell XPS M1710.

My only gripe was that the vid card over heated within the first 10 months and wiped out the battery with it.

Dell did stand by it however, and sent out a tech to replace both items free of charge.

Since then, it's ran flawlessly for the past 2 years.

I do a lot of gaming, which is why I went with the XPS. If I was mainly going to do business applications, I'd do the Toshiba.

Toshiba is really the business "Mercedes" of laptops.

·
Banned
69,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, here's the model I've been comparing with. I know it's a little pricey but it's tough to beat the 'bang for your buck' factor I think.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-P...15021/catOid/-12963/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

WJ, I was looking at the XPS on Dell's website and I thought they were a bit pricey for what you get. The reviews I have read have been great though so is it worth the extra $$$?

SHOE, I was at Circuit City checking out the DV9700 as well. It seems like the DV model is the replacement for the ZD I have now. It looks like HP is cheaper and you can customize it however you want when compared to other brands that only have certain configured models available. Usually you get what you pay for and I sometimes wonder why HP's are inexpensive since mine has been so good to me so far.

·
Medium Pimpin!
8,852 Posts
The Toshiba i use has been excellent. 2 years old and no problems. really bright screen and very good battery life. And if you ever need help they have a 24 hr 800# customer support with actual americans working there.

·
Nitrous Junky
10,820 Posts
I have had the best luck with Dell over the last 10 years. We still have one going that is 8 years old and tuning cars on a regular basis. You can get the refurb's at a very fair price.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
WJ, I was looking at the XPS on Dell's website and I thought they were a bit pricey for what you get. The reviews I have read have been great though so is it worth the extra $$$?
I spent 2500.00 on the M1710, about 2.5 years ago. It usually spends life on my desktop, as a gaming machine. Hooked into it is another 200.00 worth of a high end mouse and keyboard, along with a 20" widescreen.

When we go to the track, it comes along, as I need it to program the MSD 8973 box and read from the data logger.

I have two complaints about the machine... One is that it has a very 'shiney' screen which presents a horrible glare in any sunlight.

The other is that it pretty much runs hot. If you leave it on for any amount of time, it's well advisable to have a dual fan cooler under it. The one I use cost about 20.00 from Newegg.com and plugs into a USB port.

One of the best things about it... The PC has like 6 USB ports, plus firewire, and all of the other standard ports. I only wish it had serial/parallel as well, but it doesn't. It's a minor inconvenience.

·
Registered
21,313 Posts
I got a Toshiba P205D-S7454 and I love it. 17" screen and plenty of power for what I do with it. I actually was torn between this and a HP. I asked the guy at the store which one he would choose. He said Toshiba because they come back less often than the HP's.

Mine came with Vista, which works just fine for me. It's different than XP so I had a learning curve but now I'm fairly comfortable with it. If you don't want Vista, just clean it off and install XP.

On a side note, if you're looking for a deal on a new computer, check with the local stores to see if they'll unload a floor model. I went to the local Office Depot. This computer was the floor model and the last one they had, so they knocked off a couple hundred dollars.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Toshiba, Dell, HP are no more than average, with Toshiba at the bottom of the low end computers. If you want a good computer, look no further than IBM, they are top of the line, nothing even compares to these notebooks, I have owned a many of computers.

·
Banned
69,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys...... thanks for making it tougher for me to decide.;)

I just want to make sure and get a good comp because I don't usually get a comp that's going to be outdated in a year and then replace it again. I like to get something that's got the latest stuff so it'll last a couple of years. Which is why I was questioning the processor in that HP HDX. The HP from CC has a Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 but on the HP website there configurable model has the option for a T8300, T9300, T9500 and a X9000 Extreme. I'm curious if the 8100 is that much lesser of a processor as far as they've come the last couple of years. I'm gonna go check out some of these other models y'all mentioned.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts