Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
TEAM CARB
45,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of my backyard is done in landscaping timbers (rail-road ties). What do you guys use/suggest for preservatives? Up until now Ive been using Weatherscreen Clear Wood Preservative. It's mostly Linseed Oil.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Termites love something that's in creosote. So I'd use boron and boric acid.

Ethylene glycol works wonders at preventing rot and killing dry rot in area's that you can't access.

·
Registered
22,179 Posts
I figure that if they are good, solid railroad ties, they don't need anything.

If not mistaken, they are pressurized with creosote 100 percent through.

Suckers should out last you.

NWCC,

Are you sure that termites like creosote? I don't think anything likes that crap as far as I know..

pdq67

·
Registered
311 Posts
I figure that if they are good, solid railroad ties, they don't need anything.

If not mistaken, they are pressurized with creosote 100 percent through.

Suckers should out last you.

NWCC,

Are you sure that termites like creosote? I don't think anything likes that crap as far as I know..

pdq67
When we bought our house we had a set of stairs that had been built out of rebar stakes and rail road ties. They were infested with termites. So something about railroad ties lures those little bastards.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Thin used motor oil with kerosene and stick the cut end in it for a week or so then flip. It should suck a ton of the stuff and at least from a moisture issue it should be fine. Moisture is 99 percent of the problem.

It will give termites cancer so it will kill them slowler ;)

·
Titanium Member
11,388 Posts
Actual railroad ties are soaked in oil.
Seems to work.Fuck the epa.

·
Registered
985 Posts
They are not allowed to do creosote in my area (Florida) anymore. Marine-grade PT is arsenic. I have also heard of using used transmission fluid and also used motor oil. Good luck.

·
Registered
28,524 Posts
Yo, Missouri bandit!! You in Norwalk winning ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts