Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flooring guys I need your help. We have a polished laminate flooring in our house and even though we keep it clean, it has some scratches on it and it has a dull build up on it that I want to remove and try and bring the floor back closer to what it looked like when it was new.

What can I use that will, for lack of a better term, "polish" the floor and remove the scratches and buildup? I cannot seem to find anything locally and was wondering what people use that works.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
29,530 Posts
Not much you can do with a floor surface that is a "Sticker" basically. Most laminate floors have a clear wear film on them (the original shine) so a wood polish or cleaner is not going to do much beside the companies that already make "Laminate floor cleaners".

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
^^^^^^^^^ Yep, that's one of the big trade offs to having laminate floors. They are "disposable", for lack of a better term. They can't be fixed, repaired, or refinished.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Try some mineral spirits to see if you can clean up,the build up on the floor. Then use Bona laminate cleaner. I have been In The flooring business for the last 23 years.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So there is nothing we can do the clear the build up off? I use the cleaners and they work fine, but nothing to clear the build up off? That sucks.

·
Registered
42,574 Posts
Even if you get it cleaned up it will be temporary. Once the original surface is gone it's all downhill from there.

·
Registered
29,530 Posts
So there is nothing we can do the clear the build up off? I use the cleaners and they work fine, but nothing to clear the build up off? That sucks.
Are you sure its a build up? Imo the film is chaulky from cleaners and traffic.

be careful with the mineral spirits. It could make it worse.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
That's why you don't buy a house with laminate floors, period. It's like linoleum, only it doesn't have 1/4 the lifespan of linoleum and is easier to scratch, chip, and dent than linoleum.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I wonder if it is a film from years of applying a cleaner or wax to it. I had a dr office to remodel. They wanted the reception area pulled back 10' and I had to match the existing laminate with new. It was the same brand and color. The floors looked very dissimilar. I discovered that years of cleaning and applying a wax or shine product built up to this cloudy film. The only way to remove it was to take damp towels, take a hot iron and let it rest on the damp towel long enough to be able to scrape the film up with a typical putty knife for doing bodywork. It is a long and slow process..too much heat will bleach the planks, too little will not remove the gunk in one swipe.
I would do a test spot in a low visibilty area to see if this is the case. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you sure its a build up? Imo the film is chaulky from cleaners and traffic.

be careful with the mineral spirits. It could make it worse.
That is pretty much what it is. But regular cleaner is not cutting it anymore. I will have to try a small area with the mineral spirits and see how that works, I would just be afraid it would be too much for the floor.

What about using something like a Shark Steamer? Would that be a better option?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder if it is a film from years of applying a cleaner or wax to it. I would do a test spot in a low visibilty area to see if this is the case. Good luck.
I do not apply wax to my floors, just sweep them and use either Bruce or Bona cleaners on them.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
No, no, no steam or water on any wood or fiber based flooring!!! It will absorb the moisture and swell very, very quickly. Could ruin the entire floor, pop it up, spread it, or allow it to delaminate. Moisture is very, very bad!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's why you don't buy a house with laminate floors, period. It's like linoleum, only it doesn't have 1/4 the lifespan of linoleum and is easier to scratch, chip, and dent than linoleum.
The laminate was what we could afford to put in at the time. I still like it, but one day in the future I will have money saved up to put nice hardwood in. For now this is what I have.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, no, no steam or water on any wood or fiber based flooring!!! It will absorb the moisture and swell very, very quickly. Could ruin the entire floor, pop it up, spread it, or allow it to delaminate. Moisture is very, very bad!
I knew that you weren't supposed to use water, was not sure about steam since it was less moisture and quick. So that rules that out.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok the guy above says steam is ok...I dont mind trying it, but do not want to wreck my floors, soooooo is it ok?

·
Registered
42,574 Posts
Go ahead and use the steam. Then you can start a thread on the new flooring project.:D
You already know you shouldn't use water and you think it's OK to use a superheated version of it?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts