Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 27T roadster with ladder bars, 532 BBF powerglide with 1.80 low gear 4.11 rear gear. I have new qa1 double adjustable shocks. I am looking for a base line setting for the shocks. Currently set up for super gas leaving on a throttle stop after .050 seconds. Cars weighs 2150. I have made 2 passes in the car. The first one the shocks were at 0 and 0. My bad I thought my buddy had set them. The first pass the car launched ok but it did porpoise a little. The second time we set the shocks at 3 compression and 6 rebound. It bounced like a pogo stick. So I assume I need more compression and less rebound. Your thoughs? Thank you.

·
Registered
202 Posts
at only 2150# with a BBF in the front, you are not having a lot of mass to need alot of compressive stiffness from a generic drag shock that could suit an Impala.
With a ladder bar car, you will find that the angle of the bar will play one of the biggest roles in the needs of the shocks.
The bar placement in my opinion is key to get the car to behave and the shock is more for fine tuning the torque movement from the bar, against the weight transfer.

To answer your shock setting question, as you described the two passes, and just as a shot in the dark, I'd go back to 0-0 to make the third pass and then do only adjustment on the rebound first.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You can measure the ballpark rate with regular scale. Put the spring on the scale, compress it 1 inch and see what the scale shows.
120 lbs and it's a 120 lbs spring. Pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
The shocks should be about 60% compressed when the car is sitting on level ground with fuel and driver in place. The spring rate might be too high for the weight of the car causing the porpoising

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Looser rebound, tighter compression for a ladder bar car. You want the ass end to rise, and stay there with ladder bars. And, there is no such thing as a super gas setting on shocks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts