Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually replace my front rod ends every other season. I have always used aurora rod ends there. I don't think I ever have changed the rears. I read that some people recommend running solid rod ends in the rear for ladder bars. Mine have the bearing type now but feel like they have some slop. the only solid ends I have found are listed as carbon steel. Are those acceptable? They seem awfully cheap. I don't see and chromoly solid ones listed for 3/4 thread 3/4 bore. If not solid what would be recommended for the rears of ladder bar. I know the rear doesn't take the abuse of the front and don't want to put 70 dollar rod ends in there if not needed. thanks.

·
Registered
16,196 Posts
Your 3/4" hole seams to be an odd size. Buy a 3/4 - 5/8 set and ream the 5/8 hole to 3/4", or better yet, make up a bushing for your 3/4" brackets so you can run a 1/2 bolt. Not hard to make.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I run solid rod ends in the rear my ladder bar set up. They look like some sort of chromoly. very stout. They have been in the car for decades. The front I have chromoly heim joints. They have also been in the car for many years. At the time I paid near $100 a piece for those rod ends. They were the strongest that I could find when I made the switch from leaf springs to coil over shocks.

·
Registered
644 Posts
How do you avoid bind with solid front rod ends? Let the rod end pivot on the bolt? That doesn't sound good. Am I missing something here?
Doug

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I usually replace my front rod ends every other season. I have always used aurora rod ends there. I don't think I ever have changed the rears. I read that some people recommend running solid rod ends in the rear for ladder bars. Mine have the bearing type now but feel like they have some slop. the only solid ends I have found are listed as carbon steel. Are those acceptable? They seem awfully cheap. I don't see and chromoly solid ones listed for 3/4 thread 3/4 bore. If not solid what would be recommended for the rears of ladder bar. I know the rear doesn't take the abuse of the front and don't want to put 70 dollar rod ends in there if not needed. thanks.
Applied Tacing Technology has chromoly solid rod ends. 3/4 shank with 5/8 hole. I am sure you could drill or ream to 3/4 if needed.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Back in the day, we bent front American quality spherical ends on ladder bars. Then they came out with the solid ends (Moroso maybe). We bought a pair for the fronts. Problem solved. Instructions warned against using at the other ends, saying binding could occur..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts