Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im installing ladder bars on a 2000 Mustang and at the moment, Im trying to determine the ride height. Id like the car to be very low....

What kind of clearance should I have between the bottom of my rear frame rails and the top of the axle tubes?
I have only about 2.75" currently and still would like to tuck the tires a bit more.

And what is a safe clearance that you would recommend between the ladder bars and the parallel frame rails?

Joe

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I havent put much thought into the shocks yet.

I bought a jig from S&W that is 13.5". They told me that's what I should use for a rear shock length. It does seem a little long though. Even with the dropped brackets on the rear end at the lowest setting, the top shock mount would be way above the stock frame rails... by about 4-5"

Please if you guys have any input on my choice of coil overs, lets hear it.

Im going to be using 275/60's Hoosier radials

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Lot's of people are useing 16 inch extended shocks and set them up at 13.875 to 14 inch ride hieght.. I like to run the 19 inch extended when posable.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
The upper shock mount will be way above the stock frame rails, usually. Thats why aftermarket rails have the big "up" kick in them right above the rear axle. I wouldn't go any less than 2" of available compression.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The upper shock mount will be way above the stock frame rails, usually. Thats why aftermarket rails have the big "up" kick in them right above the rear axle. I wouldn't go any less than 2" of available compression.
So it sounds it would be good to have shocks with 2.5" of compression and 2.75" - 3" of frame rail to axle tube clearance?

I can see having to notch the frame rail to gain the necessary clearance

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
That is how I would set it up. If your rearend is moving up more than 2", you need to stop jumping speed bumps. Especially a ladder bar which tends to extend the rear housing a lot.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
We like to see 3 to 3.5 inch that way you have room to lower the car if you want to later. The shock will only travel 2.5 inches down so that all you really need but alittle more will not hurt.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Makes perfect sense!

Like I previously mentioned, I plan on just notching the frame directly above the axle. That will give me room later down the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts