Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just went threw a disc o gram (UNBELIEVABLE PAIN) and got the results. They recommend a fusion at l3-4 and l4-5. I have had 2 previous discectomys that were pretty good for 6-7 years. But the disc's have dengenerated and it's real bad again. So I am left w/ 2 options. 1. percocet and limited lifestyle or 2.Have the surgery and hopefully be 95%. They want to do the operation thru the sides as to not have to make a huge cut into my stomach/chest. They say operation is the same but it is much better cause you dont have that big cut to heal. I was told 5-8 months to heal !!! That may not sound like too long but this has been an on going problem for over a year now!!! What DOUBLE sucks is my baby in my sig is just about finished up and I am due for surgery in 3-5 weeks from now. So I may not even be able to drive it before surgery. And from what the Dr. says 6-8 weeks I will be able to cruise it around but no racing for at least 6 mo's or till he thinks the bone has grown sufficently...just in time for WINTER!!! :(. Good news is he says I will have no problems racing just about anything once I am all healed up. Now for the FUCKED UP part. He said one of the possible "side effects" of this surgery is " internal ejaculation" as in insted of blasting a load OUT it goes back INSIDE your body !!!:smt118 I would be thankful for some feed back from those who have had this procedure. Thanks Nightmare

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
just went through a L4-L5 L5-S1 fusion but its not bone to bone. i had what they call a PEEK(Poly Ethyl Ethyl Ketone) cage put into each one. it gives you great separation, allows for more aggressive treatment of therapy healing quicker. i also have 3 titanium screws and a 3-5 inch titanium rod on each side of my spine. get a GOOD DOCTOR. mine was wonderful, i however recommend not to be in a rollover accident 3 weeks after surgery. 2 weeks after surgery i was way ahead of my recuperation schedule. you will be able to get back allot of what you lost when you got hurt. and yes the discogram was a bitch, it is to establish which disc is the main pain generator

·
Head Phuckstick
18,586 Posts
Look into replacement and not fusion! Your back will thank you later.

Shannon

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
by the way--the unit works fine. no internal here. check him out, make sure he is very good. my doctor is a world traveler, even as he has advanced in age, he has made sure that he has advanced in knowledge on how to correctly treat the spine.

texasbackinstitute.com

or google it and my doctor is Dr. Richard Guyer

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Look into replacement and not fusion! Your back will thank you later.

Shannon
he may not be a candidate for a disc replacement, as in a synthetic disc. his condition may be too far gone and even a synthetic disc can be blown out if there is still a chance of too much slippage. what i had done its good, just the wreck set me back a little do to my soreness in my body.

·
Head Phuckstick
18,586 Posts
he may not be a candidate for a disc replacement, as in a synthetic disc. his condition may be too far gone and even a synthetic disc can be blown out if there is still a chance of too much slippage. what i had done its good, just the wreck set me back a little do to my soreness in my body.
Never thought about it in that way, but I would be finding out befor I even considered fusion. I'd rather have my mobility then the loss of mobility with the fusion.<--- and that is what I was told from one of the back doctors I was going to for my L3 & L4 in St.Louis Mo.

But no matter which way you go good luck and after your surgery DO AS THE DOCTOR TELLS YOU for after care.

Shannon

·
Turbocharged another BBC
6,633 Posts
Damn, be sure to check out ALL you options. I've heard the surgeon is the most important part of the surgery. My brother just had a fusing done and did everything right as far as rehab goes, now is stuck on pain meds. He goes off donnyman on here send him a pm if your interested in anymore info.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks..my Dr is very well respected. I had my cousin look into it further, he is a surgon also. And I also am supposted to get that cage (they fill it with bone). I did discuss other options such as replacement, and the surgon did not think I was a good candidate for that procedure. I was wondering how much "loss of movement" you have ???? If I can just cruise my car this year I'll be happy. But I'm gonna listen and not race it till he thinks it's safe...lol safe !! Thanks again !

·
Head Phuckstick
18,586 Posts
Also, always get a second opinion!

Shannon

·
WHO DAT???
15,742 Posts
That disco-gram was painful wasn't it??? I had a four level disco-gram done twice. I am in need a two level fusion my self but since my injury has gone as long as it has they only give me a 50% chance of a positive out come. What realy sucks is the last MRI revealed my disk at level 2-3 is now deteriorating which will most probably need a fusion as well. It sucks getting old. I find my self telling all the younger guys that throw heavy stuff around to be more careful cus it may come back latter in life as serious back problems. What sucks for me is I have always lived a very healthy & active life style. Ran many 10k races, ate well, and in the gym at least five days a week. Now I have a messed up back, but I do wake up every day keeping things into perspective knowing that it can always be worse. There are young men & women in our militaries that have lost life and limbs, and some burnt to keep us safe and free.

Anyway, I wish you good luck if you go ahead and have the fusion. Be sure and don't rush your recovery and let the fuison take so you can get in that nice Nova and enjoy it for a very long time. Be sure to keep us updated on your progress.

-Dave

·
Photoshop Pisser Offer
3,461 Posts
Ask Drag Racer 345D about the internal ejaculation thing. He knows all about it and I am sure he'll be glad to fill you in.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I'm tentatively scheduled for a lamenectomy and a possible fusion on June 17th.

Basically the doctor has told me that once I get cut open, they will repair as necessary, which I am somewhat uncomfortable with.

I have a severely herniated L4-L5, L2-L3 and L3-L4 are torn and bulging. I also have degenerative disc disease.

They have told me 6wks is the typical recovery time.

Also told me that when it's all done, the shooting pain down my leg will be gone, but I will still have back pain. I'm fairly uncertain as to what the point is. Also, apparently, the doctor doing the surgery is retiring immediately afterward, so I'm not sure if I want someone with nothing to lose performing a possibly paralyzing surgery on me.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I can tell you that blown will and loves to swallow the whole load. No matter how big or small. He does like the line to his mouth be atleast 10 guys deep. The more dicks the better he likes it. Just make sure is fat assed wife dont get any cum in her shoes. She'll claim your the father. Have you ever seen a pig in tight shorts??? Thats how they roll in his family. He needsall the gov't cheese he can get. Maybe he can move out of the stoage facility next month. Then he may be able to up his die cast inventory to $2600.00 bucks. He started the shit here so I answered.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hillbilly I had 2 lamectomys with great results.....only problem is it's a sometimes a temp fix. For me I was good for about 7 years. You will know immediately after surgery. I was walking with NO back/leg pain 4-5 hrs after surg. I wish you the best !!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had a fusion about 4 years ago. They also did the cage. My incisions were on my lower back. Never heard of anybody going from the side or front for a fusion. Ive been 100% better ever since. Some limited movement, but hardley noticeable since I only had the one fusion. They told me the fusion would cause more stress on the other discs above and below since the have to make up for the movement and would lead to more surgery. So far Ive been fine and get a yearly MRI and check up to make sure all is good.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
on the PEEK cages there is no bone that goes inside. it is a square looking thing that has two prongs both on top and bottom that are inserted in the vertebrae above and below and on the backside is where the screws and rods come into play. i was up walking 6hrs after surgery. driving after 1 week. doing menial household chores the week after. i'm 38 be 39 in July. so i have always been the type of person who never gets sick. has great blood pressure. occasionally drinks, does not smoke. so i am not "down" with something or other. the doc told me that 50% will be considered a success. i just take pain meds as needed. now that i have started p/t i now realize how week i have gotten since i was 1st injured and not being physical at work. but...if you put yourself in a positive attitude and tell yourself you will be this and you will get back to the way you were there is no stopping you. thats what i am doing and i will get back, i just may not be unloading 15-20,000ils by hand a a two wheel dolly , but iw ill be active for sure.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
on the PEEK cages there is no bone that goes inside. it is a square looking thing that has two prongs both on top and bottom that are inserted in the vertebrae above and below and on the backside is where the screws and rods come into play. i was up walking 6hrs after surgery. driving after 1 week. doing menial household chores the week after. i'm 38 be 39 in July. so i have always been the type of person who never gets sick. has great blood pressure. occasionally drinks, does not smoke. so i am not "down" with something or other. the doc told me that 50% will be considered a success. i just take pain meds as needed. now that i have started p/t i now realize how week i have gotten since i was 1st injured and not being physical at work. but...if you put yourself in a positive attitude and tell yourself you will be this and you will get back to the way you were there is no stopping you. thats what i am doing and i will get back, i just may not be unloading 15-20,000ils by hand a a two wheel dolly , but iw ill be active for sure.
So your procedure did not involve ANY bone graphs??? My procedure was described as yours but involved bone graphs.
I was told that is what takes so long in healing, the bone pieces must grow and complete the fusion.
I am 43, dont smoke or drink. Good blood too. I've gained a bunch of weight after I hurt it the second time, but lost a bunch of that. It should actually be a lot more, but the back is killing my physical activity. Since losing the weight I feel better, BUT it makes it easier to hurt my back now cause I "feel" better, but its easier now to hurt it. I just wanna NOT wake up every day and feel like total shit !!! I just HOPE to be able to go back to Driving a BIG truck. I know loading and unloading by hand is more then likley a no no. But Drop and Hook is ok or somthing like that.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
drop and hook is what im looking to go back into also. no bone graphs at all. i was feeling great everyday walking allot until a week ago when i rolled my truck 3-4 times. now i fight the soreness cuz my upper back is locked up as well as my neck with bruised ribs and its just plain uncomfortable. started p/t Thursday and its going slow due to my ribs limiting me on my exercises.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow !! Hope you get better soon !!! When did you have your surgery ??? How soon were you back racing? I'm gonna look into PEEK. Did they go in through the front or back??? They cant go through the back on me, wayyyy to much scar tissue front the 2 other discectomys. I am supposed to here from a few more Dr's. There are supposed to be 3 Dr's doing this procedure.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts