·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been a wet year and the track is as good as I've ever seen

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Been 10+ times.Awesome time.More PC every year.LOL. Going to Slideways and Dingus is still fun though.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I helped out a couple guys running sprints in maybe 98 or so. They had 2 cars, one trailer, 2 drivers. Anyways, 3rd night in a row racing, we entered with the world of outlaws at Lebanon Valley Speedway in New York. The better driver's car had a light wreck the night before, and the lesser driver had no business being out there, so we had one entry. Good driver, and the only car still ok. Pitted next to Swindell, and what an experience. We did ok on the first heat, but got spun out late. No problem, go out in the last chance deal, spun again and T-boned hard, broke the chassis in the middle. But Sammy himself welcomed us and our little trailer and dually, gave us stupid shit we were out of like paper towels and brake cleaner, lol. Took us all in his hauler and told us in detail what the car weighed, what power it made, etc. Super good guy, wouldn't expect it, but he was so nice to us "nobodys" and didn't have to be. Class act, Sammy Swindell......

·
Registered
138 Posts
Haven't been down there since I was a kid. Never been to the nationals. Another couples weeks and there are some big races in Boone, Iowa with the IMCA Supernationals.

·
Registered
51,357 Posts
I went to the Nats once back in the late 80's (I think Swindell was driving the Old Milwaukee car). LOTS of good racing and sonofabitch it was HOT (the guy sitting next to us said 'it never gets hot in Iowa').

The only thing I don't like about the track is that it's relatively flat. I loves me some high bank.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
I went to the Nats once back in the late 80's (I think Swindell was driving the Old Milwaukee car). LOTS of good racing and sonofabitch it was HOT (the guy sitting next to us said 'it never gets hot in Iowa').

The only thing I don't like about the track is that it's relatively flat. I loves me some high bank.
Since my favorite track was Ascot Park, I prefer the flat tracks, where you have to actually turn the cars to get through the corners. That's what makes dirt track racing so much fun to watch, the drivers actually have to drive the race cars and skill can win against raw horsepower.

·
Registered
51,357 Posts
Since my favorite track was Ascot Park, I prefer the flat tracks, where you have to actually turn the cars to get through the corners. That's what makes dirt track racing so much fun to watch, the drivers actually have to drive the race cars and skill can win against raw horsepower.
With winged sprints, agreed on the driving part. The guy that gets the setup right usually checks out. Take the wings off though (USAC sprints/midgets/Silver Crown) and they haul the mail on a high bank and have good tight racing.

I am in no way saying Sprint racing on a flatter track is bad. Sprints on any dirt track are worth the price of admission.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Since Fenton is "just up the road" from Finley, Ohio, I am guessing you've been to Eldora once or twice... great track and it's in good hands since "Smoke" took over when Earl Baltes retired.

My first trip to Eldora was in 1961 and you literally had to drive around the barn to get to the racetrack. If you didn't know where it was, you would never find it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts