Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
11,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For sharpening kitchen knives and filet knifes? I have used ceramic crock sticks for ever, but one of my sticks broke, can't find suitable replacement, so getting something new.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I've been looking too, lately. All I find is junk. I've got a nice set of Henckels kitchen knives, with a mild serration, that are in desperate need of attention. I'd love to find something to sharpen them that didn't say "As Seen on TV" on the box.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Dads whet stone, two sides probably from the 40's?. One diamond stone if they really need help, and a steel in the knife block not as often as I should just to keep up the edge. Nothing electric ever. I used to keep a crock stick in my desk for my pocket knife, but never really used them on my kitchen knives. No reason, just never did.

Amazon actually has a selection of stones. Not sure if they are good or bad. Try your local knife shop.

·
Banned
16,597 Posts
Chef's Choice edge select 120

Cheaper units by the same name not so good. This one is 3 stage, brings any blade back from the dead.

·
Registered
21,609 Posts
Spyderco Sharpmaker here. If you're used to crock sticks (I still have a set of them too) you'll feel comfortable with the Spyderco product. I've found the triangular sticks work with serrated edges on our steak knives and bread knives also. I've used these for years....comes with both coarse and fine sticks.

http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker/dp/B004HIZKHE

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I have the Spyderco sharpener also, it works fine but if you're in a hurry the Worksharp belt sharpener (Ken Onion Edition) is pretty fast. Works on other stuff too. Good luck!

·
Registered
11,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spyderco Sharpmaker here. If you're used to crock sticks (I still have a set of them too) you'll feel comfortable with the Spyderco product. I've found the triangular sticks work with serrated edges on our steak knives and bread knives also. I've used these for years....comes with both coarse and fine sticks.

http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker/dp/B004HIZKHE

That looks like a good tool, and I've had good luck with their knives. Appreciate the input.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I let the professionals handle sharpening mine. I hit them with a steel here and there to knock any burrs off, but when they need sharpening these are my guys..

http://www.sharperamerica.com/residentialknifesharpening.html

Twice a year they get the treatment and despite my best efforts in the past, I can't even come friggin close to how ninja-action sharp my knives are when I have them do their thing to them.

·
Registered
11,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the Spyderco sharpener also, it works fine but if you're in a hurry the Worksharp belt sharpener (Ken Onion Edition) is pretty fast. Works on other stuff too. Good luck!
that Ken Onion sharpener looks pretty handy, and the fact you can use it on tools is nice. Do you have the Worksharp, and how does it work on other blades like axes, shears, etc.?

·
Sizeable Member
7,742 Posts
Spyderco here too but I have been thinking about getting a Chef's Choice 120. The Spyderco does a great job, I'm just lazy.

·
Banned
16,548 Posts
Edge pro is the best sharpener made, end of story.

·
Registered
11,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I let the professionals handle sharpening mine. I hit them with a steel here and there to knock any burrs off, but when they need sharpening these are my guys..

http://www.sharperamerica.com/residentialknifesharpening.html

Twice a year they get the treatment and despite my best efforts in the past, I can't even come friggin close to how ninja-action sharp my knives are when I have them do their thing to them.
That's a neat service, but I'm not down with sending in my multiple hunting and fishing knives on top of kitchen stuff several times a year, I'd go broke and nuts waiting for them to be done. I can get my shit razor sharp myself, just looking for input on DIY sharpeners for people who like knives. I also have good Henckels and some Cutco for the wife, that seem to need attention a few times a year. She's pretty spoiled and likes her stuff surgical sharp, so I don't want to send stuff out and wait.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
That's a neat service, but I'm not down with sending in my multiple hunting and fishing knives on top of kitchen stuff several times a year, I'd go broke and nuts waiting for them to be done. I can get my shit razor sharp myself, just looking for input on DIY sharpeners for people who like knives. I also have good Henckels and some Cutco for the wife, that seem to need attention a few times a year. She's pretty spoiled and likes her stuff surgical sharp, so I don't want to send stuff out and wait.
I hear you , I have a 10" Wusthof Culinar that everybody knows to never touch or they will get stabbed, a few Globals along with a couple Cutcos I got in Erie at their store, but it works for me as I'm in and out of the city a lot so i can drop them off. They are usually ready to go within an hour. Maybe you have somebody local who has the same setup. I used to have this old Amish cat do mine but he died and his kids are useless. I've tried all kinds of setups to sharpen and still can't match it. Maybe it's just me though!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts