Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Kirkey Aluminum seats I am putting in my Nova. The car has been backhalfed but the floor from the cross member forward is still there. Since its a street strip car I wanted to see how you guys mounted your seats. Did you use a stationary mount or did you put it on a sliding mount? I know Ill need to add a brace to mount the seat to my cage as well. For the floor did you keep the existing floor or weld flat panels in? For the seat itself what did you to to mount the seat to the floors. Pics would help too!

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
69 Nova here. Mine has a small piece of angle on both sides of the seat. One is welded to the trans hump and the other to the X-bar. Also bolted on the back to the cage. Only pic I have.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
69 Nova here. Mine has a small piece of angle on both sides of the seat. One is welded to the trans hump and the other to the X-bar. Also bolted on the back to the cage. Only pic I have.

Did you just bolt it to the floor or did you add to the frame and bolt it to that?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I have a "hoop" extending from the rocker bar part of the cage under the seat (but above the floor). Welded some tabs to it and the seat bolts directly to the cage on all four corners, no brackets or slides. Will post some pics in a few. No adjustment. If I need to adjust it for some odd reason, simply take out the 4 bolts/nuts, slide the seat forward, drill new holes. BTW, I Love my Kirkey.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
As far as comfort while driving, especially on a long crusie, how are they? Very interested in the OP's question as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a set of Kirkey Aluminum seats I am putting in my Nova. The car has been backhalfed but the floor from the cross member forward is still there. Since its a street strip car I wanted to see how you guys mounted your seats. Did you use a stationary mount or did you put it on a sliding mount? I know Ill need to add a brace to mount the seat to my cage as well. For the floor did you keep the existing floor or weld flat panels in? For the seat itself what did you to to mount the seat to the floors. Pics would help too!
The best and safest way is to first of all use a minimum of 3/8 bolts and big fender washers. Use two in the back to the seat tight against the cage in the back. Use two in the very bottom to very solid structure (preferably cage) and the final two in the very back at the bottom to prevent a pendulum effect in a side impact. Try to use bungs in the cage where you go through tubing.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
We took apart the factory seat track that molds to my cars floor, and welded the Kirkey mounts to it. That way it bolted right up and sat level.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I bought a set of adjustable brackets that mount back in the factory location from Racecraft Inc,seemed easier the trying to change the sliders to the seat.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
i made my own brackets to mount to the sides of the seat, and to pickup the stock mounting points in my truck... passes tech (slower than 11.49) and is pretty fucking comfy on long rides...

so comfy.... i have this for a office chair at work.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Did you just bolt it to the floor or did you add to the frame and bolt it to that?
Not bolted to the floor. I have a piece of angle welded to the trans hump on one side and another piece of angle welded to the rocker bar on the other side. Each angle has two 3/8" grade 8 bolts holding the seat in place. The seats sit very low so my helmet does not hit the top of the cage. I don't have any padding on my seats so they are not the most comfortable but I don't drive the car to far on the street.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
lol... im just glad they worked out ok... gotta be the nicest brackets ive done yet...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts