Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty much a novice when it comes to firearms. I have experience around guns and have been taught to have a very healthy respect for them, but I don't have a concealed carry permit just yet. I am in the market for a new gun and I am considering buying either a Kimber Ultra TLE 2 or a Colt Commander. I would like to have laser grips on either one. Aside from being visibly similar (I know most 1911's will), what should I be checking for between the two? I have not even priced them yet other than browsing at a local gun shop. Does Kimber do anything different than Colt as far as machining or anything? Or either way am I paying for a name? I will probably have more questions later and I appreciate any help. Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Can't go wrong with eather. I will tell you the Kimbers are built tight and do take 2-300 rounds to get smoothed out. Make sure you get them in your hands and get the one that feels BEST to you.

·
Tony McKellar
4,812 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
For a carry gun between those two I would lean toward the Kimber. I have an Ultra CDPII and its been flawless for 500 rounds so far.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Have both, love both.
Colt Officers 45 (compact model), Colt Delta-Elite 10mm, Kimber CDP compact, Kimber Eclipse Custom. The 10MM & the Eclipse are a lil big for carry (I'm a small guy) but deadly accurate and NONE of these have ever failed me.

You picked good choices to start with.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I have a Colt Commander (in stainless), and love it-I agree with Codefive however-you can't lose with either one, but why not have the original?

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I would say colt. I own both colts and kinbers both are great with rhe exception of a bad experience with a kimber ultra. I just ptefer my colts.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I like the kimber. 3000 rounds through mine and not a single FTF or FTE. Got a para p-13 that's the same way. Made in Canada too. The good ones.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Both are good guns and I love 1911 s I built mine after having a couple but in my mind I like the kimber they are tighter and need to be broke in with lots of rounds. Had a colt it was loose but it was well used and never missed a lick and was just as accurate as any other 1911 I have shot so I guess it dosent matter but I just liked it better it was a kimber pro crry. I put rogue grips on mine and it fit me perfect. But no lazer.

·
102,312 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts