Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I've been thinking about putting one of these on the fiancee's heads/cam car. Seems like it would be a lot of fun with the six-speed.

·
Registered
49,832 Posts
I would go with a procharger or vortech kit myself.I would buy the "Tuner" kit and build your own intercooler setup.

·
Registered
41 Posts
heck with those heat soaking overpriced blowers!!

:-hijack

Have you ever owned a kb car????

Do you have any idea what your talking about?

Heat soak is not an issuie when properly delt with.

A properly set up kb car making the same hp as a procharger car will pull the procharger car so hard its not even funny. Look at the graph of a kenne bell car compared to a procharger. Theres no comparison. Try again. You hit max torque at 1800 rpm's in most set up's. And in case you didnt know torque is what makes for a fun street car, not top end horsepower.

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts

A properly set up kb car making the same hp as a procharger car will pull the procharger car so hard its not even funny. Look at the graph of a kenne bell car compared to a procharger. Theres no comparison. Try again. You hit max torque at 1800 rpm's in most set up's. And in case you didnt know torque is what makes for a fun street car, not top end horsepower.
The real question here is do you KNOW what you're talking about or just going by a magazine article that has to support both companies regardless?

A Kenne Bell is a nice blower for the street. Outside that, it's junk. The same goes for Magnacharger for that matter. Roots type blowers, regardless of manufacturer and in street form are low end torque monsters and that's it. A positive displacement blower like that of a Kenne Bell suffers from high IAT's...........higher than that of Centrifugal type blowers without an inter/aftercooler. It's just a fact we all live with. This is the primary reason that F2 and F3 Centrifugal Prochargers are used in pure race form rather than a large Kenne Bell or Magnacharger. A Kenne Bell/Magnacharger makes all the power down low and drops off quickly and sharply after the initial "hit". Procharger makes more, more, and more power as one goes down the track. This is what racers are looking for!

I'm sorry to rain or your parade but comparing a Kenne Bell to a P1C Procharger (as per article you're reading) isn't a practical comparison. A comparison between a Kenne Bell and a D1 would be would be much better and would show entirely different results.

If you haven't noticed there are very, very, very few actually try to RACE with a Kenne Bell or Magnacharger. The ones that are going this route are aloud two power adders and they are using Hellion kits (turbo's and roots blowers) to keep up with the guys using Prochargers and a 50-100 shot of N2O.

When it comes to all out RACING. Kenne Bell sucks!

·
ProStock Jackstand Winner
25,123 Posts
I guess it depends on what you want. I know of a 5.3 with tfs215's and a magnacharger making 1000hp at 6500.
power is power and you gear it right, it will be just as fast as any other 1000hp setup

·
Registered
303 Posts
The car is actually mine.

Ran into some engine trouble, should be running relatively soon but with a new owner. if the buyer backs out then we are shooting to max out the blower's 139lb/min rating.

·
Registered
49,832 Posts
Wow. this is the most ignorant post I have read in a while. I would trade the low rpm tq for high rpm hp all day.

:-hijack

Have you ever owned a kb car????

·
Registered
41 Posts
The real question here is do you KNOW what you're talking about or just going by a magazine article that has to support both companies regardless?

A Kenne Bell is a nice blower for the street. Outside that, it's junk. The same goes for Magnacharger for that matter. Roots type blowers, regardless of manufacturer and in street form are low end torque monsters and that's it. A positive displacement blower like that of a Kenne Bell suffers from high IAT's...........higher than that of Centrifugal type blowers without an inter/aftercooler. It's just a fact we all live with. This is the primary reason that F2 and F3 Centrifugal Prochargers are used in pure race form rather than a large Kenne Bell or Magnacharger. A Kenne Bell/Magnacharger makes all the power down low and drops off quickly and sharply after the initial "hit". Procharger makes more, more, and more power as one goes down the track. This is what racers are looking for!

I'm sorry to rain or your parade but comparing a Kenne Bell to a P1C Procharger (as per article you're reading) isn't a practical comparison. A comparison between a Kenne Bell and a D1 would be would be much better and would show entirely different results.

If you haven't noticed there are very, very, very few actually try to RACE with a Kenne Bell or Magnacharger. The ones that are going this route are aloud two power adders and they are using Hellion kits (turbo's and roots blowers) to keep up with the guys using Prochargers and a 50-100 shot of N2O.

When it comes to all out RACING. Kenne Bell sucks!

What are you talking about? No magazine here bud, im talking from personal cars here. I have no problem with proleakers i think they make good blowers and own one as well. A kenne bell does not fall off untill about 6800 rpms on every car i have seen. Tell the 100's of Kenne bell cobras that are in the 9's and low tens with no nitrous that they have a blower that "sucks for racing". Never did i compare a kenne bell to a p1 either i dont know where you are just assuming all this bs from???

Wow kenne bell junk blowers huh? I would really appreciate for you to explain to me why Ford would use a 2.8 kenne bell supercharger on the shelby supersnake?

What i think you are not understanding here is for them to use this blower on the shelby supersnake, the blower as well as the rest of the car had to be warrantied up to a 100 thousand miles. That warranty is valid to 25 psi of boost on the car. But im sure your right that Ford would obviously choose a "JUNK" blower on this car and warranty it for that many miles.

Just telling it how it is. If you dont want to believe it thats fine. But dont try to tell others things when you dont know what you are talking about yourself.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wow. this is the most ignorant post I have read in a while. I would trade the low rpm tq for high rpm hp all day.
Ignorant referring to lack of knowledge would not be on my end there partner, it would be to the people trying to explain that kenne bell is a "junk" blower and have no experience( that is the definition of ignorance). And if they do have experience its user error, not the blowers fault.

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
A Kenne Bell is a nice blower for the street. Outside that, it's junk. The same goes for Magnacharger for that matter. Roots type blowers, regardless of manufacturer and in street form are low end torque monsters and that's it.

For someone trying to educate us all on blowers, you should probably know that a Kenne Bell is not a roots blower.

A Kenne Bell/Magnacharger makes all the power down low and drops off quickly and sharply after the initial "hit". Procharger makes more, more, and more power as one goes down the track. This is what racers are looking for!
Really? Weird. I'll have to take that KB off that Shelby we just finished. 722 rwhp through a 9" and still climbing when I let off at 6,500

You need to update your info. The newer blowers from KB and Whipple pull hard up top due to better designed inlets. For ALL OUT race, I agree that a centri holds a small advantage, but I would take a twin screw on the street everytime.

Ken

·
Registered
41 Posts
+1 Ken thank you for posting.

And as Ken stated there about the inlet's, this is the biggest downfall in the past to these blowers and why they were falling off. But now with the new mammoth kits coming out as well as a few companys cnc porting the manifold for the chevy kits to allow the flow of the inlet to get up there with the blower and not bottleneck it, theres is great power potential to be had.

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
stainless40cal, with any due respect..........

YBBitch:

I'm not speaking in reference of RACE of some piss ant 281 or 330 cubic inch street engine that runs 9's (9.what?). Even in terms of Street Outlaw classes, these guys are RACING and running 4's in the 1/8 and 7's in the 1/4. New's flash, they aren't doing so with KB blower on it's own. It's backed by either a turbo(s) or nitrous.

KB's and Whipples have a come a long way in a short period of time and holds VOLUMES over the older stuff, but they are still a far cry from being full race potential on 450 cubic inches or more. Anyone trying to be competitive in real racing with a 330 cubic inch KB only is bringing a tire iron to a gun fight.

The confusion/argument here is nothing more than definition of "racing". I don't call a 9 second street car a race car. I call it a fast street car that runs on T&T night at the local drag strip. When I speak in terms of racing...............I'm talking about a freakin' race car (in a competitive CLASS) and KB's aren't found on those...............without a second power adder.

I stand behind my original statement.

"When it comes to all out RACING, Kenne Bell's sucks"

·
Registered
41 Posts
Fyi whipple already has "street cars" in the 8's with a tiny ford motor and a 3.3 whipple with no spray! What do you think is going to happen soon when kenne bell comes out with larger blowers as well or you throw a big whipple on and they are put on big blocks or larger cube small blocks. You will see 7 second kenne bell cars and whipple cars as well and probly see them drive home from the track while others trailer there 7-8 second cars.

I understand where you are coming from. You also took it into a whole other subject as you now are referring to 7 second cars. Just shedding some light on Kenne bell, theres no reason to doubt them.

·
Registered
303 Posts
My car was being built to Run PSCA limited street. class is going 8.90's on 28" ET street. Car was going to get to weigh in at 3100lbs.

With a few small tweaks such as a sheetmetal plenum and the right drive system 8's should not be a problem.

A KB on a 427 ls1 made 850whp on a sand car. that was through 33" all terrain tires and a huge Mendeola HD4 transaxle (appx 25% drive train loss) and a 15psi of boost with a safe tune that can runing in the Califronia dessert.

in this class i will gladly take the 3100 lbs over the the 3300lbs of a intercooled F1r or the 3200lbs of a single stage plate specially since there are no boost control or traction control devices allowed.

·
Registered
49,832 Posts
First off it is not a Kenne Bell. It is a Lysholm. get your facts straight. Whipple Liscenses the design to KB.

Also Lysholm blowers are great for small motors or truck engines. If top fuel could switch to centrfigal they would do it tommorow. Just like a turbo but without the spool up issues.

Secondly on the issues psi per psi Centrifugals make more power under the curve then lysholms , roots , high helix etc.They also make that power with far lower parasitic losses.

I have tested most blowers out there you name it. Vortech and Procharger eat up the roots and positive displacement blowers all day. I would trade a 8-71 or 10-71 for an F1r or f2 anyday of the week. More power less boost easier on the crank snout.

Ignorant referring to lack of knowledge would not be on my end there partner, it would be to the people trying to explain that kenne bell is a "junk" blower and have no experience( that is the definition of ignorance). And if they do have experience its user error, not the blowers fault.

·
Registered
41 Posts
First off it is not a Kenne Bell. It is a Lysholm. get your facts straight. Whipple Liscenses the design to KB.

Also Lysholm blowers are great for small motors or truck engines. If top fuel could switch to centrfigal they would do it tommorow. Just like a turbo but without the spool up issues.

Secondly on the issues psi per psi Centrifugals make more power under the curve then lysholms , roots , high helix etc.They also make that power with far lower parasitic losses.

I have tested most blowers out there you name it. Vortech and Procharger eat up the roots and positive displacement blowers all day. I would trade a 8-71 or 10-71 for an F1r or f2 anyday of the week. More power less boost easier on the crank snout.
What are you even talking about? You do know Kenne bell is not a roots blower right???

Im sorry did you just say that centri's make more power under the curve than a roots or kb blower :smt103:smt103

I want whatever your on just tell me how much please?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts