Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31,635 Posts
I would think without oil they would be horrible filters.....let FAR too much particulate pass.
This^^^ Hold one up the a light, you can see spots of light through them
Last thing I would use on a street car. Race cars don't need air filters unless they run on dirt tracks.
You must get your rings and cylinder walls for free ??

I was doing a fair bit of asphalt oval and road course engine tuning when these filters hit the market and people started using them (drinking the koolaid) and I started seeing what I thought was detonation on plugs in engines I was familiar with, ones I had been baby sitting for a while and knew they should not be knocking. After a few weeks of puzzlement one of the fellas had a shunt off the pavement in a cloud of dust and those plugs that had only been in the engine less than one hard lap came out looking speckled pretty good. That was when I realized the tiny black pepper specks were teeny-weeny bits of fine dirt/clay/sand (river flood plain) fused into little specks of glass by combustion heat.

They are better than nothing, but the only reason I will use one is if a suitable paper filter isn't available.

·
Registered
17,550 Posts
Guys you just got to be smarter then dirt. Installed properly every time a K&N air filter will get you 250,000 trouble free miles of normal driving use on a turbocharged vehicle and twice that in a N/A vehicle!

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
I run one in my daily driver and my quad. ZERO issues with abnormal engine wear, oil particle contamination, or anything of the like. The media isn't as fine as a paper element, and that's what the oil is for. It will trap and hold the smaller particles without issue. In very dirty conditions, you can install a prefilter over it. My atv uses one even with the factory paper air cleaner...I only needed to change my air cleaner once to pay for it, two standard paper filters cost more than the [email protected]

·
Registered
19,904 Posts
I run one mainly because K & N has a sight where you can see all the styles and measurement's, found a nice one to fit my turbos 5" opening.

·
Smart Ass Conservative
110,358 Posts
Almost 325,000 trouble free miles in my 5.0 Coyote 2011 F150

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was around when Ken and Norm first started making air filters for dirt bikes. I use there products on all my motorcycles!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts