Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...who likes them and who doesn't?

Some don't like them, but I do. The N in K&N is a friend of mine, but that doesn't sway my opinion. Don't over oil them. I use on the street or track (both roadrace and drag strip), but not a user on the dirt.

What say you?

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Between dad and myself, we've been using them in the sand for decades. Throw in another dozen of people I personally know in the sand as well.
Not one single failure from filtration issues.

·
Registered
17,337 Posts
Got 453,000 on my 01 F250 7.3 with a drop in K&N! I've had to replace the first K&N at about 275,000 miles.

·
Registered
632 Posts
For me, it depends on the application and the availablility of other filters :unsure:

Like for my Land Cruiser, the OEM filter is HUGE compared to the K&N replacement, filters better and is also washable without the need of oil

On my Road Runner, the OEM/Fram Six Pack filter is just way too expensive and my only alternative to mess around with on my homemade cleaner was the K&N at a 1/3rd of the price

My 98 TA was sent out to SCC for a Ram Air hood conversion which included a larger pre-oiled LT1 style K&N filter and it was nuthin but trouble :cautious:

In the first year it killed 3 MAF sensors (all covered under warranty)

In the end, I just washed it and did a very light coating of oil, but I should've just ditched it for an OEM LT1 R/A filter

My honest opinion on K&N after selling them at my shop for over 25 years?

When clean, they flow great, but filter like shit

When dirty, they filter great, but flow like shit

Like the others have said, for toys, they're fine, but I prefer OEM for daily use.

·
Registered
16,372 Posts
Snake Eater......I run one on my 70 Cuda for the same reason as you. No way am I paying $200 plus for a paper Fram.

never seen one mounted like yours!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Snake Eater......I run one on my 70 Cuda for the same reason as you. No way am I paying $200 plus for a paper Fram.

never seen one mounted like yours!

Couldn't find a standard air cleaner setup for a high rise intake and dominator that would fit under the lift off hood, so I just made a template, lasered the lid and base plate out of aluminum and sandwiched the filter in between.

Fit with less than a 1/4 inch clearance and I ended up selling about a dozen sets on the lift off forums.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I use them and love them. Clean them up every oil change and I only put a light mist of oil on them.

·
Registered
16,372 Posts
Couldn't find a standard air cleaner setup for a high rise intake and dominator that would fit under the lift off hood, so I just made a template, lasered the lid and base plate out of aluminum and sandwiched the filter in between.

Fit with less than a 1/4 inch clearance and I ended up selling about a dozen sets on the lift off forums.

You have a LOT more hood clearance than I do. I run a performer RPM under a stock two scoop Cuda hood so I had to drop a ram charger air cleaner base way down to gain back some space. It works!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
i've used them on many vehicles
most with good results
NOT good results with the jetskis, they are like a magnet for water

personally i prefer to use them without oil
i do like their new race line of filters, man they flow, but would not consider that in dirty environments
they are VERY thin on filtration side and more on airflow

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Last thing I would use on a street car. Race cars don't need air filters unless they run on dirt tracks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts