Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Just wrapped up my Cobra replica build

19K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  Ricer 231 
#1 ·
Hey guys- been reading this forum for years to help with my different project cars. One of them i just wrapped up and I'm pretty happy with it- not a drag car / weekend cruiser - a FFR Cobra replica. Check it out / let me know what you think-

-Tacojoe

Completed car...

The build...

#2 ·
#6 ·
Thanks! Yes, you don't see that color very often on a Cobra. My first Cobra was red with no stripes. Those are 17" American Racing Shelby pin drive wheels. These cars are a kick in the ass! Pretty much a deathtrap, but a lot of fun. Enjoy your Cobra-it looks good.

I don't know about a cheap SBF.....once you start getting carried away with an aftermarket block, heads, internals, etc....LOL, but I have seen more than a few stock block 347's that ran pretty hard for the money spent to build them.

Nice car, I'd like to build or buy one some day myself. It would have to a be a 427 Windsor though, it's more fun on the edge of insanity!
Something like this?
[/IMG]

#13 ·
A couple friends and I are working on a Cobra replica for the father of a friend of one of my friends (6° of separation, right?). I sat in it the other day, and I found the left offset pedal position weird. It's also rather difficult to get in and out. Do you guys have removable steering wheels?

#18 ·
What can you guys tell me about the various kit makers? Superformance, Factory Five, Shell Valley, Backdraft, others? The one I'm working on is a Superformance; the roller seems nice, but whoever built and installed the engine and trans was a total hack.

#19 ·
Shelby/Kirkham, Superformance and ERA are the "rich man" replicas...lol. More correct looking compared to the original cars and higher quality parts used in the build. They are factory built as turn key minus cars-complete cars just needing the engine/transmission installed. I think Backdraft are also made in a factory, but they use a BMW strut type suspension. As you go down the line, some of the kits are partially built. Some, like Factory Five, have to be assemble from a bunch of new or used parts, and are only as good as the parts used and the skill of the person building it. I've seen some Factory Five cars that were pretty nice and some that were just horrible piles of shit. There is a lot of support online for building a Factory Five replica.

Superformance makes a very nice replica. They make it fairly easy to bolt in an engine/trans and get it hooked up and running. Wiring, hoses, oil filter mount, linkage all installed. Too bad you got stuck following a hack. Some people can take a fairly straightforward operation and turn it to shit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.