Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Tomatoes and peppers are going crazy, we'll make sauce soon. Picked around 10 dozen ears of corn n froze today. Cabbag, broccoli, Brussel sprouts and cauliflower going in a week or so for the fall, maybe some potatoes if I feel like it.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
We had a real good tomato crop this year, but had to pick them green because it's been so cool up here. We've taken to canning them, and the canning recipe calls for basil. I'm really looking forward to making some spaghetti sauce from the Romas.

·
Former RJ instigator
40,528 Posts
I'm going to pull our tomato/jalapeno plants up today, low in the 40's this weekend, so they are done, peppers did great, but our tomato plants didn't put out much this year, oh well, win some, you lose some.

·
Former RJ instigator
40,528 Posts
So this year I got 6 tomato plants ( 5 celebrity, 1 cherry tomato ), 3 pepper plants ( 2 hot jumbo jalapenos, 1 chile poblano ) and 2 Japanese cucumber plants, all doing really good, pics will be forth coming.

·
Former RJ instigator
40,528 Posts
Few pics I took of our little garden over the weekend.

5 celebrity hybrid tomato plants ( determinate ) and two Japanese cucumber plants on the far right

Cherry tomato plant. ( indeterminate )

This is my wife's raised bed flower garden she was so gracious enough to allow me to plant a few pepper plants, two jalapenos and one poblano pepper.

·
Banned
6 Posts
I faced the same problem last year, tomatoes got cracks and I did not understand why, because I watered them enough and they were not in the sun for more than five hours a day (we do not have the sunniest state). I asked my friends and searched the Internet for information about this because I wanted to find out how to fix this problem. Fortunately, my friend recommended an excellent When and How to Transplant Tomato Plants here I learned a lot of new and interesting things about how to grow tomatoes correctly and what to do. If it weren't for these guys, I wouldn't be able to harvest a rich crop from my garden right now

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Our tomatoes always do pretty good but they do not last as long as they should. We live in a pretty wet environment where it rains a lot. Short of covering my garden there is not a lot we can do. They do last long enough to produce lots of tomatoes. We had a bunch that did not make it due to bugs. I really don't like to use any pesticides and just plant enough to have acceptable losses and still have enough for the family. We have already frozen 3 gallons of tomatoes for future use.

Next growing season I have a surprise for the bugs. I built a chicken coop and run in the back yard and enclosed the entire back yard to keep them in. 16 chickens and 4 ducks. They say ducks will eat just about any insect or snail in the garden. Not sure about chickens. They may eat the plants...lol. Either way I hope it works out better but if it don't we will have plenty of eggs...lol.

·
Former RJ instigator
40,528 Posts
Our lame flower bed garden is coming along, it only gets the morning sun so we need to find another spot for next year, the cucumbers are doing well though, we've already gotten several off of them so far.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts