Welp, update time. Sold the aluminum 5.3 to a guy that I'm building a 71 C10 for. He basically wants the drivetrain I first brought my car out with. So he has the current motor out of my Chevy II in his C10, detuned to about 750, a CK stg 3 200R4, and a TSI 3700 stall lock up converter. I have built another aluminum 5.3, only this time the only stock part is the block. This is another + .020 L33 block, unfilled. Callies CCW crank, manley boost rods, and wiseco boost flat tops. TFS as cast 220 heads (for the thicker deck over stock) 1/2" studs (overkilled for sure) BTR shaft rocker system, LS9 headgaskets, and an edelbrock pro flo intake. I kept the same LJMS stg 2 turbo cam, as I love how this cam drives on the street. John Bewely who designed it, says all in, the cam will make 1250. We've bumped up to an S485/.96/1.32 turbo and will shift this one at 7500. The calculators say that should make the car a very low 8 second street car. I have also added a Gearvendors pro mod version GV, as I really miss my od cruising RPM that I went away from with the Hutch 400. That is what happens when you start chasing a number! Yes, the old combo went 8.70, which is great for a 3400# street car, but I really miss taking the car on longer rides, cruising along a 70 mph, with rpm's in the lower 2000 range. Hoping to have it fired this weekend. Its already been fired on the dyno with a carb, so I know its a good piece. Can't wait to get back out with it!
New motor is up and running. I need to get used to the new sound of this motor. The valvetrain is different, and slightly louder, as well as the larger injectors are louder, and the aluminum intake acts as an amplifier for the injector noise. This motor sound more like a solid roller, than a hydraulic roller. Its amazing how much quieter the last motor running the same cam combo, with a plastic intake and smaller injectors was, over this new combo. I ordered a front brake package to match the dual rears I have from aerospace components back in December. I called and asked if they made a package for my TCI front suspension, which was ordered with standard GM big bore calipers and rotors. They wanted a picture of the spindle. Picture sent, confirmation recieved that they did have a kit. Ordered said kit, and it sat in the box until now. Doesn't fit........not even a little. So we mocked up the hub and rotor, with the supplied caliper mount clamped to my spindle. Took measurements off of that, and designed and cnc'd our own bracket. Fit it all up last night and it works like a charm. Hope to have the car to the track in the next few weeks.
First trip to the track with the new motor was productive. It was a Payso event at Lapeer Dragway in Mi. Not exactly great for testing, but track prep was on point! Took the 5.50 tune from the last motor, and with the new injector data inputted, made a 330' hit just to have a look at the data. Went 1.25 60' so that looked good. Took that data and made some tweaks to the fuel curve and went back up to make its first 1/8 mile hit. 1.27 60', and 5.44 at 128 on 23#. Felt really good. This led to E1. The class I had to enter was "Extreme Street" and I was a duck. Fortunately, the two ducks got pared up first round, and I went .044, 1.25, 5.38 @ 129 for the win! next up was a 4.90 S10 chassis truck (not sure where the "street" was in this truck with a huge wing on the back, but it was a beautiful truck non the less. Greg added a # to the launch target, and 3# down track. Told me it would probably knock the tires off, but if it stuck, start shifting! Did my burnout and staged the car. The launch boost change altered how it bumped, so it was lazy. After 2 bumps the top bulb was flickering, and I had to go one more. That put out the bottom bulb and flickered the top, and Greg thinks it started the timer, as all the data was waaay off. I went red, and lost by 4 car lengths with no good data, but Greg expected it to be a high .20 pass. All and all a great first time out, and it felt really good to be back at the track!
Welp, had the car at my local, yearly event, and the car ran great. Had the car to beat, but not enough seat time (8 passes on the new combo) a slower spool time with the bigger turbo, and not enough refinement ( I have very limited tuning abilty, and the guy that works with me lives in another country) teamed up to bite me in the ass in the finals. My staging process has not changed with the new combo, and thus in the finals, me telling myself to be cool and do my thing, got me timed out. I lit the second bulb right on the 7 second mark, but the bump wasn't deep enough, and it rocked back out of the beams, triggering an automatic red light for me. Had a great weekend, and the only effort requred was to get the car slowed down to meet the 5.50 index requirement. Here's an early qualifying pass.
Went back to the rained out event and ran the same street 275 5.50 index class. Based on a set of rules looking for street appearing cars that meet certain criteria. Great class for the car, as it can comfortably run the number, and I am comfortable cutting a light. Went to the finals against a beautful G body cutlass, BBC with 400 of spray. He ran right on the number at 5.50, and I ran 5.51 but left first to get the W, with both of us lifting at the stripe. 14 cars in the class, and I left first on all of my races. Really good group of people, some great racing, and some really nice cars. I'm probably going to run the 5 race series next year................if the commies haven't outlawed racing by then!