Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most loggers respect and are thankful for nature.....some are just ignorant.

First, I am not a logger, I am a tree farmer. That's what we do, we grow trees to be cut down for products ranging from paper to dimensional lumber. Matter of fact on this particular piece of land all of the sawlogs and poles were left on the back 50 acres. What you see in pics in the front 50 which was purposefully grown for pulpwood production. At one time there was a plantation planted that a fire took most of the trees out of, and instead of salvage harvesting the remainder of the trees the decision was made to plant back in between the survivors. This left varying age classess which made density a problem to manage. In order to reestablish a monoculture on the front 50, we went ahead and performed the clearcut. It will be wind rowed, burned, sprayed and replanted this Jan/Feb.

You can sit back and arm chair enviromentalist all you want to, but don't think iggnorance is part of the equation. If you understood forest ecology at all you would have recognized the above action as the correct measures which generate not only maximum fiber production, but is also best for the targeted wildlife species we manage for. Of course you, like so many of your liberal bretheren, simply think it looks bad without regard for what is actually going on. T

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You killer, how do you sleep at night?
By knowing I spent five years to obtain the education necessary, as well as countless hours in the woods to make the best possible decisions for a sustainable forestry initiative.

·
The Media has an agenda!
25,768 Posts
First, I am not a logger, I am a tree farmer. That's what we do, we grow trees to be cut down for products ranging from paper to dimensional lumber. Matter of fact on this particular piece of land all of the sawlogs and poles were left on the back 50 acres. What you see in pics in the front 50 which was purposefully grown for pulpwood production. At one time there was a plantation planted that a fire took most of the trees out of, and instead of salvage harvesting the remainder of the trees the decision was made to plant back in between the survivors. This left varying age classess which made density a problem to manage. In order to reestablish a monoculture on the front 50, we went ahead and performed the clearcut. It will be wind rowed, burned, sprayed and replanted this Jan/Feb.

You can sit back and arm chair enviromentalist all you want to, but don't think iggnorance is part of the equation. If you understood forest ecology at all you would have recognized the above action as the correct measures which generate not only maximum fiber production, but is also best for the targeted wildlife species we manage for. Of course you, like so many of your liberal bretheren, simply think it looks bad without regard for what is actually going on. T
My commentary had nothing to do with your pictures.....more so your ignorant slander of people that care for the planet we live on..TREEHUGGERS.

BTW the fact that you are "spraying" and attempting to alter the eco-system for maximum production....it shows all your study is muted by the man-made arrogance that you can improve on nature.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Sweet!

·
Registered
7,174 Posts

HA, I gotta give myself a slap on the back for that one, I guessed it. I looked at the pics and thought "wow, thats really overgrown, gotta be some kind of forestry plantation" I was right.

·
Spiritual Gynocologist
80,189 Posts
Manbearpig is gonna get YOU!

·
Registered
4,114 Posts

With the title of your thread were you trying to incite or inform?

Mistah

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My commentary had nothing to do with your pictures.....more so your ignorant slander of people that care for the planet we live on..TREEHUGGERS.

BTW the fact that you are "spraying" and attempting to alter the eco-system for maximum production....it shows all your study is muted by the man-made arrogance that you can improve on nature.
Spraying is done to help promote seedling survival rate, we are not trying to improve on nature just use to tools available to help ensure sustainable practices so that the land can be used for multiple future generations.

Treehuggers is a term which I interchange with "Arm Chair Enviromentalist". Guys like you who love to give their opinion without spending one day in the woods. Here's a clue, it was the arm chair enviromentalist that caused the massive fire in Yellowstone. Not allowing thinning caused a build up of excessive fuel, that along with the density not allowing dead limbs to fall led to canopy fires which wiped out around 14 thousand acres.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For the record I was joking. I make rustic furniture for a living. I try to use reclaimed or recycled wood, But sometimes trees have to be cut down for what I do.
That's awesome. Reclaimation wood is extemely labor intensive. I have 100+ year old heart pine floors in my house that will soon need some replacement pieces. Hate to even start pricing it.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HA, I gotta give myself a slap on the back for that one, I guessed it. I looked at the pics and thought "wow, thats really overgrown, gotta be some kind of forestry plantation" I was right.

Yeah, it was time to either thin or clear. Given the age classes present it would have been extemely difficult to get it to a uniform and manageable basal area, so we went ahead and took it all down. The back 50 is in around 60 year old big timber. I would have liked to have gotten it as well, but betweent the market and wildlife management goals it just wasn't the right time.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
I believe overgrown forest causes a canopy that hurts ground growth thus hurting food sources for wildlife.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With the title of your thread were you trying to incite or inform?

Mistah

Little bit of both, it's funny to see the arm chair enviro's jump on the bandwagon without understanding one tiny thing about forest management.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts